Fitting a better (louder!) horn

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
OldEssexman
Current Ride: 2017 650 Exec

Fitting a better (louder!) horn

Post by OldEssexman »

I want to fit a better horn, at least one I can hear when I'm riding! I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of removing all the panels, is there a how-to guide anywhere?

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Re: Fitting a better (louder!) horn

Post by Alanzzg »

OldEssexman wrote:I want to fit a better horn, at least one I can hear when I'm riding! I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of removing all the panels, is there a how-to guide anywhere?
I'm with you on this one. If you have a horn you don't want a feeble weak horn .you want a good strong one .
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

If you need a horn, change your exhaust.

OldEssexman
Current Ride: 2017 650 Exec

Post by OldEssexman »

Meldrew wrote:Just to indulge someone here on what I can now call 'executive time', ;) how often do you actually use your horn that you feel the need to upgrade it? .
I ride a lot in central London and filtering is a big part of that. A decent horn is very useful to catch the attention of the lane-wanderers who are busy texting whilst moving at low speed.

Davefirestorm
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by Davefirestorm »

Horn on my Burgman is a little tinny unlike the one on my Hardley but can’t hear it when the engines running.I’d stick a louder one on if it was an easy task.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

A horn that can't be heard properly by other road users might as well not be there. On the odd occasion you need it, it will let you down. Don't waste your money on a genuine Nautilus, they're so badly made now (both mine failed inside 2 years) that you might as well buy one of the cheap Chinese copies which start from a tenner:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-136DB-Lo ... 2601876239

They probably aren't any better, but you can buy three for the price of one genuine one. Saying that, my two have outlasted both of the 'proper' ones I had already. I'll be fitting one to the DN (if I ever get time).

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I fitted a Stebel to my X9 some years ago.
As Meldred points out there is so little space to fit any extras under the plastic on some maxiscooters - certainly on the Silverwing - I didn't bother to remove it to transfer when I sold the X9.
It occurred to me at some point that although a louder horn may alert vehicles, drivers may then look out for a large vehicle worthy of a 'big' horn and overlook me.
I find the stock Honda horn effective although I wish it was two-tone to make it more audible.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

OldEssexman wrote:I want to fit a better horn, at least one I can hear when I'm riding! I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of removing all the panels, is there a how-to guide anywhere?
A lot of help there then?
They’ve all had their say but none answered your question!,

Unfortunately I don’t know if there’s a how-to-guide. But I do know the room is limited.....

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Stibbs wrote:
A lot of help there then?
They’ve all had their say but none answered your question!,

Unfortunately I don’t know if there’s a how-to-guide. But I do know the room is limited.....
While I'm in the 'why bother' group, on the grounds that by the time you've hit the button, you would have had twice as long to react in another manner, it would possibly have helped if OP had said what 'bike/scooter he was wanting to fit the horn onto ;)
Have wheels, will travel :D

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Meldrew wrote:I think it's a Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive bud, I had one for a couple of years and it had the same horn kicking out the same decibels as just about every other maxi I've owned before and since.
Cheers bud, in that case the available space will be 7/8ths of fuck all, I think if he REALLY wants to fit one the best bet will be bugles fitted to a bar with a remote compressor, like the mod's did back int the 60/70's.
Have wheels, will travel :D