Center Stand Sensor

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Center Stand Sensor

Post by Stephen »

The 650 Burgman would’nt change gear this morning in manual or automatic,it happened just before Christmas as well when i was about to get a new tyre,got my breakdown service out,but the fault had rectified itself,so the recovery man followed me for a couple of miles to check all was well then went on to his next job,when i got to the dealer i told them,they had a look at the stand cleaned around around the sensor and regeased the area,the same thing happened a couple of weeks ago,i wiggled the stand a bit and resolved the fault,but once again it happened this morning,lots of wiggling,but still no joy dont really know where the sensor is,had a gander underneath,but being a non-machanical buffoon,i have no idea what i am looking for,some kind of plunger i guess that when the stand is in the up position allows the engine to change gear.

I phoned my dealer and was lucky enough to get a sensible member of staff(i hope), and explained my problem,he went into my account and could see i had already paid for work to be done on the Burgman,so they have raised a job number and i called out my recovery service.The Burgman is still under warranty and he said it could be a faulty switch or possibly the stand may of moved from its fixing point,obviously if its shitted up again it’ll be an easy fix,but is going to be a reoccurrence,on my previous 650 Burgmans i’ve not had this problem and one of them was the new shaped one,i clean the scooter on a regular basis,but dont want to get involved in removing centerstands and regreasing etc,clearly they wont be able to take a look till Monday at the earliest.

Will update when i know more

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Center Stand Sensor

Post by Ralph »

Yep seem to remember there being a center stand switch to stop
people pushing it off the main stand with the rear wheel doing 100mph.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

You would think this would have been sorted by now, i had the second or third 650 Burgman sold in the UK and it used to happen on all 5 650's i had over the years. Crap in the centre stand switch,,,a good blast with wd40 or the like..chain loob works well as the water does not get in as fast..
ACF50 i used in the end and made it part of a monthly check..
Lyn.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

After a bit of argy bargy,Suzuki have agreed to replace my sensor switch under warranty,the service manager at my dealer tells me,apparently after a ride i need to return home clean the bike,wash any salt,grit and other road debris frome the stand area,then regrease it as its proberly down to the roads i’ve used it on......WTF...according to Suzuki UK,anyway part has been ordered,but its coming from Germany,so will not be here till next week,dont have a 650 in their showroom so can not steal that switch :evil: at the moment,i hav’nt thrown my toys out of the pram......

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Yep it never fails to amaze me how bike riders are treated can you imagen a car
driver cleaning it after every run and being told that.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

FFS this is a machine sold as a tourer what happens when you are miles from any where and is goes cold and snows/rains....

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Doing nothing to the switch is my advice, if you clean it, you risk spraying any grit into the plunger tube. If you oil spray it you will make grit stick to it. Best to remove it and join up the wires, it's there as a silly fail safe extra, never needed on any other scoot I've owned, and I've owned a few.
Find a good Telecoms Jointer and wrap it in denso tape.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

What a load of bollox spouted by Suzuki,they are bastards to deal with warranty wise I have avoided buying Suzukis because of this but Honda my make of choice don’t make a maxi scoot.The finish/quality on the Burgman is shite.Mind you Harley Davidson dealer told me my wheels had gone rusty because I’d ridden in the rain and I shouldn’t have done.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

A switch problem does not make it a shite bike, many will never fail.
My own Honda Silverwing had both brake switches seized when I brought it. Steve does not do maintenance, why should he, he spent his hard earned, and gets the companies to correct faults.
How else will Suzuki improve.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I didn’t say it was a shite bike I said the finish/quality was shite and so to is Suzuki’s attitude to warranty claims.I like my Burgman very much and hope to keep it for a few years yet.