Ignition Key Hole Shutter

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Ignition Key Hole Shutter

Post by Stephen »

After getting my Burgman delivered back from the dealer on Friday,i did a 50 mile round trip to a Honda dealer to take a demo bike out,returned home parked the Burgman up,using the metal key hole shutter as extra security as the scooter lives outside,went to use the scooter Saturday arfernoon,i can not release the shutter,the end of key has not rounded of,i checked that,even tried the spare key.The shutter moves just a smidge,then it feels as if some is blocking it.I have looked on Burgman USA,the results i found from way back were to put a screwdriver in to lever the shutter down,it’ll proberly render the shutter unusable according to the results i found,its magnetic think,i dont really fancy sticking a screwdriver in there,if it dont work and needs to go to the dealers,then Suzuki will turn the blame on to me.The Burgman is on a”66” plate,2016 therefore under warranty.if it does need to go to a dealer,it’ll Be fun,its in its parking spot at home with the steering lock on :D

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Ignition Key Hole Shutter

Post by Steve_D »

I had exactly the same thing happen to my 2011 Burgman when I had one. I thought it was the security key and luckily I had the spare one hidden about the bike which involved removing some plastics to retrieve it. Still no luck. I had to get it recovered to a dealer with the steering locked. It was still under warranty at the time so I wasn’t unduly worried. I ended up being charged £60 as it was my fault! I know what I did as soon as they told me. I had whipped the key out too quickly, not exactly straight - I think I was leaning over from the front of the bike - leaving a small outward burr on the thin metal cover of the key barrel. This in turn had caught on the rear of the security shutter which has a very small clearance between the shutter and the barrel. The dealership said they had to remove the lock and tap the burr back into place - I could see where they had flattened it - but I bet they didn’t do as much work as that. I’ll bet that’s what is wrong with yours too. How about giving the flap a few sharp taps with a drift to try and flatten the burr or helping it to open using a combination of the shutter key and a screwdriver to give a little leverage help? Once open, just tap the burr back in place.

Just found my old post on Burgmanusa. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman ... utter.html
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Well, how did you get on?

Honda SH300i

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

Both keys and the recess they fit in to look to be ok as well does the shutter itself,i have been speaking with the dealer and they are aware of exactly what the problem is,they advised me not to poke around to much,which i did’nt intend to do anyway,work this week is a bit hectic,so i am off Monday and will call my recovery service early to get the bike to the dealer and me along with it,they have a nice cafe there for my breakfast,then while they messing about with the bike,i will take the demo Honda x-adv for a spin,as they are a Honda dealer as well,already tested one recently,but another spin wouldn’t go amiss :D

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Breakfast and a road test on a new bike while your one is being fixed for free. Much better than just hanging about in the showroom. :mrgreen:

Honda SH300i

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I've had two burgers (both 400s) and I never used the keyhole shutter on either. My Maxsym also has one and I never use that either. The reason being the chance of it sticking shut and leaving me stranded unless I can find a way of forcing it open and possibly breaking it. Plus both my burgers had keycode immobilisers and my Maxsym has an aftermarket immobiliser fitted, making the shutter superfluous anyway.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I never use mine on my 650,and never will after hearing of this happening

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

I use mine occasionally but think I won’t bother anymore. Don’t need the hassle

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

I really did’nt fancy trying to lug the Burgman into or on to a recovery vehicle with the steering lock stuck on,so when i got back from breakfast on Saturday i had another look at the little key hole shutter,i could just see the top of the ignition,i put a flat head screwdriver in the gap,chose the smallest hammer i had and gently let it fall on the shaft,job done,scooter starts ect,no damage,although i did’nt have the balls to try the key hole shutter again :D Phoned up the dealer and cancelled the booking for them to deal with the Burgman....... 8-)

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Post by Z750Jay »

Rarely ever use the ignition key hole shutter - looked too easy to round off! Never used the steering lock on any of the bikes I have had, simple to break so no deterrent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk