Oh how they rust!

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Oh how they rust!

Post by Z750Jay »

Unfortunately my 650 Burg lives outside the front of the house and as it got used as my daily transport, it got abused a fair bit. Hopefully this year we will be moving to a house with a garage/parking so the slow process of restoring the Burg to a decent state can begin.

This is the difference a year can make - top photo is from where I cleaned the bike prior to a toy run in March 2017 and bottom is today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adyhbris
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: Oh how they rust!

Post by Adyhbris »

Z750Jay wrote:Unfortunately my 650 Burg lives outside the front of the house and as it got used as my daily transport, it got abused a fair bit. Hopefully this year we will be moving to a house with a garage/parking so the slow process of restoring the Burg to a decent state can begin.

This is the difference a year can make - top photo is from where I cleaned the bike prior to a toy run in March 2017 and bottom is today

Can wd40 or something similar be sprayed on the shocks to help?

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Unfortunately anything I have sprayed on gets removed by a local tom cat who really LOOOOves my Burg

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I still have my experimental Ohlins rears and three sets of springs, they have done about 180 miles testing..but at the time my 9 stone was not enough to move the springs :lol: The guy who was helping me get the set up correct moved on and no body else could be bothered to help. This is why the experiment stopped when it did..Make me an offer plus postage as the box and the two extra pairs of springs are not lite.
Lyn.

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Thanks but already have a spare set of shocks off of eBay to go on once we have moved and the bike gets a garage to live in (bargain at £48!). I changed the original springs to a Progressive set. Work fine with my 17 stones on the bike

MT606
Current Ride: burgman 400 c90

Post by MT606 »

give it a quick clean up/spray then make a 'piss protector' out of 3 bits of ply covered in roof felt, tall enough to protect the bike from the cat that can surround both sides n rear, easy to move n put back every time you need to move etc...I had to do similar with an old car I had... look at the bottom of lamp posts, they are usually rusty AF thanks to all the dogs pissin on them.....

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

ACF50 will protect against corrosion from salt and I would bet cat piiss.But end of day the Burgman is absolute shit build quality,a decent wet fart will cause corrosion.

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Cat piss removes ACF 50!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I would remove the cat then.

The main thing is thou, we as Moto-By-Cyclists :D put up with 5hit like this don't we!
If we paid almost 10grand for a car we would be up in arms if it rusted like that in 12 months.
Lyn.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

Soapy Water will get rid of ACF,water,salty water and I’d imagine cat piss won’t