Oh how they rust!

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Re: Oh how they rust!

Post by roadster »

I've owned four Suzukis from new and the only one that wasn't rusty after 12 months was a 1200 Bandit. Probably because I didn't dare to ride it in the rain!
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

roadster wrote:I've owned four Suzukis from new and the only one that wasn't rusty after 12 months was a 1200 Bandit. Probably because I didn't dare to ride it in the rain!
Were they kept in a garage?

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

I’ve had two new Suzukis since 2004 and minor warranty issues left me vowing never to buy another but I bought the Burgman thinking things would be better lol. I do like the Burgman as it suits my requirements at present but the poor quality/finish and the piss poor service interval mean I won’t hang on to it for long,I expect depreciation to be high when I do trade it in.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Use Waxoyl, after cleaning apply it to dry surfaces with a clean soft cloth. It sets and will stay in place for months and won't wash off easily. It prevents and kills rust, holding it in a fixed state until you can deal with it. It cleans off with white spirit or parrafin. The Burgman build quality is ok but any bike will suffer in the weather we have been having this last winter unless it's well protected with Waxoyl or similar. Suzuki did go through a 'flakey' speel in the earlier noughties with poor paintand fixing on some models, but they are pretty good now. It's like anything made of metal, cover it in salt water and it's going to rust however good it's made. I speak from lots of experience with all makes of bike.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Luckydave

Post by Luckydave »

I ride less frequently when salt on roads these days and quick hose down and dry does my Burger.Bolt heads looked tatty/corroded and have been replaced with stainless the two bolts holding my shocks on and pins holding front brake pads were seized solid after 6 months and front discs that were new last June have rust on bobbins/rivets.My 2002 Silverwing had no corrosion on it when I traded it although the wheels had seen better days lol

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Post by Z750Jay »

Regular washing probably would help but as it is used most days washing it is a rare event. Unfortunately where I currently live makes doing anything to the bike a pain to do and I am reliant on the wether gods being kind. Being by the sea is also not helpful.
Would be nice to hose the bike down and then dry it off before applying ACF50 etc but the best I can do is take a bucket and sponge out and wash the worst off when I have a chance at the weekends when the weather is not too bad.
Still, we are seeing the bank next week about a loan to buy a house - two main criteria, off road parking and a garage for the bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckydave

Post by Luckydave »

If you coat your bike with ACF50 you just leave it there no need to wash it off till end of the salty roads,it won’t wash off but obviously Bike looks manky with all crap stuck to it but shiny bits stay shiny underneath,it works I’ve used it.

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Luckydave wrote:If you coat your bike with ACF50 you just leave it there no need to wash it off till end of the salty roads,it won’t wash off but obviously Bike looks manky with all crap stuck to it but shiny bits stay shiny underneath,it works I’ve used it.
Tried it but did not work that well. Fine on the bits that were not exposed to the elements but road grime blasts it off

Luckydave

Post by Luckydave »

Have to agree to disagree.It worked for me and anyone else I know that used it.Always one I guess

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

Luckydave wrote:Have to agree to disagree.It worked for me and anyone else I know that used it.Always one I guess
I agree with that! Seems to work fine if allowed to dry on the bike - first time I used it was at a mates and the bikes were in a garage and left to dry over night. Each time after that the bike has been outside. Probably it being applied to a cold, possibly dam bike and then relying on the English weather to dry does not help