First 100 miles

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
caecilius
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Re: First 100 miles

Post by caecilius »

I asked the dealer aboutthe running-in issue. I live in a hilly area (High Wycombe) and 4000 revs equated to something below 20 mph when going uphill, which was ridiculous. I got the advice that i should just avoid fast acceleration but otherwise ride safely without going mad.

I'm now at 2600 miles and the engine seems just fine. I previously had a Piaggio Beverly from new and the handbook had more usuable advice:

Running in
DURING THE FIRST 1000 KM. DO NOT RIDE THE VEHICLE OVER 80% OF ITS
MAX. SPEED. AVOID OPENING THE THROTTLE GRIP COMPLETELY OR KEEPING
A CONSTANT SPEED ALONG LONG SECTIONS OF ROAD. AFTER THE
FIRST 1000 KM. INCREASE SPEED PROGRESSIVELY, IF POSSIBLE, UNTIL THE
MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE IS OBTAINED.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:50 am I would worry about revs too much just let it warm up odd blip to 5/ 6 K be fine .
I've had two Burgman 400s, and I'll agree with that. Just be gentle for the first 1000 miles. You'll feel it loosen up.

Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

Post by Snail »

Hi guys, I have eventually got there burgman in for 600 mile service today, its taken just about a month, get a few more revs to play with later! Starting to feel like it wants to go and I have to pull back on the reins? Hopefully will be able to do a bit of cruising now?

Snail

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Give it some welly. (Sent from deepest darkest Africa )

Snail

Post by Snail »

Hi Ray, yeah we might be able to keep up with soon!

£108 including the vat. £55 per hour Labour about the norm now adays?

Snail

Post by Snail »

Been for a little ride today over to Moreton in marsh market, winter gear on now, oh boy how that wind was blowing over the top of birdlip, had to be bit careful as some tree bits in road here an there, still now have 760 miles on so had a quick spurt on the bypass to 70 mph felt ok about 6250 revs, two up of course goes without saying really, the book says 1000 miles up good to go, just a little spurt now and then, not wide open and probaly never will be? Still at least the roads are dry down here last few days got to make the most of them now, the trees look really nice and colourful downside of course is the leaves on the road
Anyway enjoy the good days but be careful! Snail

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Had wife on back of mine last week hardly noticed any difference .She only comes on the back if her car has problems nowadays .It went well tho glad I brought it lot better than the sym 200 2 up.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Snail wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 am Could maybe put some decorative alloy chequer plate on the fuel cover to stop the scuff marks?

Dude, you are under arrest, anything you say may be taken down etc.

Snail

Post by Snail »

Weyhey! Out and about today and the odometer clicked over to 4 figures! So that's it then officially run in hope I've done it correctly and this ones a keeper? Only time will tell

Ride steady look out for them dam leaves!