400 belt direction

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Stumpy 32
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400

400 belt direction

Post by Stumpy 32 »

I am taking a look at the drive belt on my 400 Burgman. If I am reading the maintenance schedule right it should be changed at 14500 miles. No evidence of this in the documentation that came with the bike so at 18000 miles it needs looking at.
I've now got the various covers off the belt. No evidence that it has been changed or even inspected, marks on bolt heads etc. I've measured the width of the belt 23mm+, quite clean inside the case. Now working to get the variator apart to check the rollers.
All looked well until I had another look at the belt, it's on backwards! That is to say the arrows printed on the belt when on the top run of the belt are pointing to the back of the bike, not to the front.
Can someone confirm that the belt is indeed on backwards please.
John

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: 400 belt direction

Post by muddyfox »

Any help ?
In the video at 2:20 minutes it shows arrows on the belt. He then points to the arrows running towards the front wheel when he replaces it.

Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Bern

Post by Bern »

Yep, arrows should be pointing in the direction of rotation bud

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Yep always gone with Arrows in direction of belt travel - why wouldn't you?...
XMax400 / Mitsuboshi Belts have Arrows...
The OE Honda / Bando Belt didn't have arrows - but had writing / part number etc... - so goes on so you can read it... as confirmed at the dealer when I bought it...

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

The service book says "the arrows point in the engine rotational direction" and a pic shows the arrows pointing forward on the top run of the rear driven pulley.
If you are replacing the belt then I would do the above but if re using the belt you have I would put it back as was.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Stumpy 32

Post by Stumpy 32 »

Thanks for the replies. Useful video, for dismantling I liked the one with the guy doing the job in bare feet!
The belt must have been changed recently, its like new. The rollers in the variator are OK, two are just showing signs of wear, I'll replace all. As for the belt, I'm not sure, seems to good not to use.
There is one part that concerns me, the movable (steel) plate in the variator, some odd marks under the plastic guides. I'll show a photo when I work out how to post one!
John

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

I had a Burgman 400 on long term lone from a dealer some time ago. It had probably come in as a part exchange and then been used as a workshop hack with zero maintenance at over 20000 miles. On the very day I was returning it the belt flew apart at 70 mph and I came to a halt with some terrifying noises ( from the bike that is). A big mess I expect but luckily not my problem! Definitely not worth risking waiting for this to happen.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Stumpy 32

Post by Stumpy 32 »

I've got the Burgman back together, new rollers in the variator and a new belt. I'm surprised at the difference! The (slight) roughness on take off has gone, the pickup of drive is somewhat sooner. I have also noticed a slight "glitch" in fueling at about 2000rpm on a very light throttle setting. Is this usual?
John

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Post by Ralph »

Mine did have a very slight hunt at small throttle openings but it was hardly detectable,
the transmission responds well to getting rid of the dust especially from the rear pulley,
camphering the leading edge of the shoes helps with a smooth take off, as does leaving it
on the side stand, can only think that allows any dust to escape the drum but it did make
a noticeable difference to mine.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif