Judder

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
outbound
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Judder

Post by outbound »

Hi, I haven't been on this site for a while, as I sold my early Burgman some years ago.
After I sold my Silverwing, I bought a 2010 L0 model Burgman.
It is the midnight brown model.
I love the look of the bike, but one thing that has been getting on my nerves is terrible vibration around the 20mph mark. It is like trying to pull away in too higher gear.
I have changed the belt and rollers, but was wondering if it could be the clutch locking up too early.
The only clutch that I have seen for my model is the Polini G2.
Has anyone got any ideas.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Jeff

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Judder

Post by Ralph »

It could be the clutch though 20mph sounds a bit high, did you clean the dust out of the clutch when you
had it down? if you park it overnight on the main stand try using the side stand, if you do decide to clean
the clutch chamfer the edges of the shoes like you would brake shoes this helps stop grabbing.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Yes that does sound to be well above the speed where the clutch should be fully locked up. Could be worth checking all the powertrain mountings and looking for excessive movement due to tired rubber bushes. If you are not certain about the history of the scooter someone may have fitted a non-standard clutch but the standard clutch would have little or no slip in normal use unless the shoes are worn or very contaminated.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

outbound

Post by outbound »

Thanks Ralph and Roadstar.
Yes I think I will take to clutch off and give it a good clean out.
When I say 20mph, I try and keep it above 20mph to stop the vibration.
So I would say it was between 10 and 20mph. It's not too bad when pulling away from a stop.
I will also have a look at the mounts as well. It could be the normal thumper vibration made worse but the bushes.
I would have time until next Monday, but will let you know what I find.
Thanks again Jeff

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

There's an old thread on Burgman K8 juddering that was subject to a recall.

I can't see it being related, but even so ...

http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 269#p41269

outbound

Post by outbound »

Hi, just a brief update. I took apart the variator and clutch of yesterday. All seemed well although the clutch pads were a bit glazed, so have rubbed them down a bit.
I have now cut the vibration down by half which is bearable.
One thing that I didn't mention last time was there was a sort of rattling noise when accelerating. I thought it could be the exhaust baffles.
While I was testing the belt after I put it back on I noticed belt slap on the bottom of the belt, which seems to be the noise that I heard.
This may also be where the vibration came from.
The original belt also had this problem although I didn't know it was that until yesterday.
Any ideas.
Thanks Jeff

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

The variator rollers also rattle during acceleration and it's usually these that make the most noise. Even when new, the rollers can be quite noisy. Are you sure the engine isn't misfiring under load at 20mph or so? It can show up as vibration on a single cylinder bike and will make the transmission noisier too as you accelerate. You've cured half the problem it sounds, but the rest might just be a misfire I'm thinking which is not always obvious.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

outbound

Post by outbound »

Thanks Jeff Data, after going to work on it for the last couple of days it appears to have gone back to as it was.
I was thinking of buying a Polini 2G clutch, but didn't want to waste money if it wasn't that.
The cleaning of the pads did seem to help for a while.
If anyone thinks it might be worth getting a new clutch, please let me know.
I will try and running it without the belt and see it the running improves.
Thanks again