drive belt snapped

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
MT606
Current Ride: burgman 400 c90

drive belt snapped

Post by MT606 »

had the belt snap today, just as I was accelerating from a junction. engine still turns over.

What if any other damage should I be concerned about? had a cam belt go before n that fucked the engine up so bit worried there's more to it than a snapped belt....

thanks

m

Deleted User 7077

Re: drive belt snapped

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Drive belt isn't part of engine its transmission so should not affect engine running .Take cover off belt case have a look get all bits out .

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Not usually - often a lot of dust n rubber bits plus maybe fiber strands to clean out...
What mileage have you put on your belt? over the recomended milage?
Did 24000 on the Yam belt, Recomended is 12000 - £100 each...
SH125 i changed at book stated 10000 - £30 each
Dust n dirt or hash environment that could of picked something up, bit of flint or stone?
Recommend to go OE, or Mishiboshi for Yam, Bando for Honda... Not sure who makes the OE fir Suzi...
Good luck...

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

icon_shit.gif Shouldn’t pick up dirt or debris on burger belt as it’s covered. I changed mine on 15k miles, manufacturers recommend 14k but always build in safety margin. I suggest they’re fine to 16k if used “normally”.
I use Dayco belt on my burgers, easily available of eBay etc. About £70 highly recommend them. icon_good-job.gif

MT606

Post by MT606 »

thanks for the replies, I was about to replace the belt within the next few weeks aswell! sods law eh.... mileage wise it was due a change, I was just wanting to give her a run out as she hadn't been out in a while.......

mitsuboshi ones are shown in the haynes book when going on about direction arrows but no actual reference is given to belt type in it.....

will take all the panels off n clean her up in the week......

tar

m

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

Jim Allen is a Suzy dealer in Falkirk who sells Gates drive belts (made for snowmobiles) which are half the price of the Suzuki ones. At least they were two or three years ago!
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

You can get Mitsuboshi off Italian eBay even with extra postage cheaper than UK.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

I'd be surprised if anything else was damaged and a drive belt is easily replaced. I had one bust at about 90 mph on my Gilera Nexus whilst I was in lane four of the M25 and managed to pull over to the hard shoulder.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

MT606

Post by MT606 »

I've found dayco and mitsuboshi belts at around the £90 mark on ebay but the dayco says its only 22.7mm wide, the mitsu is 24.4mm the haynes book says if the belt gets to 22mm to change it, dayco ones seem too close to needing changing straight away....? will have a look at jim allens.....

m

MT606

Post by MT606 »

cleaning out the dust n debris from the housing before I put the new belt on, what's best to use, I was thinking carb cleaner/aka petrol, in a spray can?