Checking out a Burger

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Vimesy
Current Ride: BMW R1100S

Checking out a Burger

Post by Vimesy »

So, as you may have read on my other thread in General chat, I'm looking for my first Maxi. The idea being not to spend a lot of cash - partly to see if this is the right direction for me to go in but mostly because I haven't got much! If I really like Maxi's then I'll upgrade when funds permit.

There's a dealer near me (Bishops of Bath) who has a couple of Burgers up for sale. The first is on a W plate and has covered 13,000 miles. He's just fitted a new exhaust and it comes with a Givi rack but (as far as I can tell) is otherwise standard. This is the one I took out last friday for a short 20 minute run. I was pretty impressed tbh - apart from the acceleration off the line which felt a bit laggy. Nippy, fast enough and above all good fun. For this one the dealer wants £1,400 - I doubt he'll move on this.

However he also has one which is a couple of years older (on a T plate I think) and has done 25,000 miles which I'll be taking out on this Friday hopefully. Again, standard but without rack (not too bothered) and he only wants £800 for this.

Obviously I'm more drawn to the cheaper one but was wondering if it might be a false economy. Are there any major services coming up that could cost me a fortune? Parts replacement I should be wary of?

Is there anything generally that I need to be on the look out for on older Burgers to warn me off a shonker? Any other advice you can offer is always appreciated!

pikey

Re: Checking out a Burger

Post by pikey »

I sold my 2002 burger with 26K and it was still going strong .£800 one as long as no major problems would be my choice less to loose when you resell .For £1400 or just a bit more you should be able to get a K3 privately which has the fuel injected version of the 385cc engine and the revised rear wheel arrangement and twin head light has more under seat storage as well.Julian

GTscootz
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by GTscootz »

Isn't it just a year's difference between a T plate and a W plate??

So, would certainly go for the T plated £800 one. At 25K it should certainly have had a belt change by now, or be due one (if ridden very gently through its life)

Gio
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by Gio »

Vimesy wrote:I'm looking for my first Maxi. T
Did you take the plunge ?

Vimesy

Post by Vimesy »

Not quite yet...I was supposed to take the older one out on Friday for a test ride but had to cancel due to my daughter being a bit ill.

Still keen though but not 100% sure what I should be looking for as far as warning signs go. The only things I can go on are signs of rust and corrosion...not sure what questions I should be asking of the dealer either.

It may all be academic to be honest as I can't stretch to more than a grand...but it might be the best way for me to get into the world of Maxi Scoots. Low risk as well, as I'm fairly sure that I can't lose a lot on a £800 investment.

Gio

Post by Gio »

Vimesy wrote:Not quite yet...I was supposed to take the older one out on Friday for a test ride but had to cancel due to my daughter being a bit ill.

Still keen though but not 100% sure what I should be looking for as far as warning signs go. The only things I can go on are signs of rust and corrosion...not sure what questions I should be asking of the dealer either.

It may all be academic to be honest as I can't stretch to more than a grand...but it might be the best way for me to get into the world of Maxi Scoots. Low risk as well, as I'm fairly sure that I can't lose a lot on a £800 investment.
We were in a similar position when we bought our Burgman (2000) y model. We bought ours blind off eBay and have to admit it has given Jackie and myself more pleasure than our usual breed of motorbikes for trips and touring. :-D You are looking for general motorcycle indicators such as fork condition inc pits, misalignment of handlebars and so forth. You cannot easily check the drive belt or condition of the bolts / stripped threads because as you know the engine and drive is well hidden. With hindsight I would have got the rear wheel nut loosened and banged the wheel by hand to see if it would move on the splines. Fortunately ours was not seized but it was still a bu$$er to remove when I wanted to inspect it. icon_scratch.gif
Costs will depend on how able you are DIY wise. Ours is not worth taking to a garage for general servicing because after hearing about ‘service costs ‘ of £200+ for simple oil, filter etc it is prohibitive given the initial cost of the bike.

No doubt some owners will throw their arms up in alarm but I run my bike over filled and fill to the edge of the filler hole when on main stand and front wheel touching the floor. All I can say is up to now over long distance and high speed I have not encountered a problem with blown seals, burning oil etc and view the risk lower than running it with low oil and a certain wrecked engine as other 400 owners have found out to their cost due to the way the oil can 'vanish'. I am also running a test with a cheap £17.99 drive belt to see how it performs. Given we ride two up most of the time, it will be interesting to see how it lasts. (currently 3k miles). Spares-wise I tend to keep my eye open for the odd bargain so currently have spare rad, handle bar switches, rear shock, calliper etc. Adds to the running cost but I balance them against the service costs I don’t pay. Down your way Burgman’s seem quite popular unlike up here so keep your eyes open in the local press. When we camped south west of Corston nr A39 / B3116 junction 2 years ago we saw quite a few on the road.

Vimesy

Post by Vimesy »

Thanks Gio, thats reassuring. I'll be ringing the dealer today for some more details ie. any service history, reciepts etc and then try and arrange to take it out again.

Gio

Post by Gio »

I forgot to say you can change the pick up speed of the bike using different roller weights around 18 to 27g in the variator or for that matter buy a different make / type of variator. Some folk also change the clutch. I am running mine with 8 rather heavy 27g rollers but it suits our riding style at the moment.

Vimesy

Post by Vimesy »

I have no idea what you just said but, if I do pick one up, I'm sure I'll demand an explanation! ;)

Gio

Post by Gio »

Vimesy wrote:I have no idea what you just said but, if I do pick one up, I'm sure I'll demand an explanation! ;)
Well you had better get a move on and pick one up.............so you can find out what I was on about........... :lol: