Oil usage

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Oil usage

Post by barryG »

I know that oil useage on the older Burgman 400s was an issue, anyone know how much a new one should use. While running in up to 600 miles mine used around 100ml, and since then over another 750 miles its used another 100ml. I know it doesnt seem a huge amount but my Xevo 400 only used around 250ml in 6000 miles!

mightbesane
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K4

Re: Oil usage

Post by mightbesane »

If my math is correct, at that rate you'd lose about 600 ml between scheduled oil changes - assuming that the change is scheduled for 4,000 miles. That doesn't seem excessive to me for breaking-in. I'm inclined to change my oil more frequently than recommended, though. Cheap insurance.
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~Frank ZappaImage

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

I guess its because my last Maxi used virtually no oil that Im a little concerned. Well, if it uses half its oil between services then no need to change more often as itll have had half an oil change between each service :lol:

DougL
Global Moderator
Current Ride: R1200GS

Post by DougL »

Piston rings often take a while to bed in. Hard riding once properly warmed up helps. Some breathers cause oil to get burned, so running a Vespa 250 with oil at full would cause oil level to drop. Conversely, running at minimum would cause no loss. I wonder if this is applicable to the Burgman?

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Ah yes! The old Burgman 400 oil consumption thing! My 2006 model used to get through a phenomenal amount. I was always topping it up. What is more I have spoken to a few other owners and they say the same. A look through the net turns up other similar experiences. Nobody seems to be able to come up with an explanation for it.
Don't know about the latest ones though. I get one in March so I will report back then.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

I think it was the Burgman USA site where I read about somebody who moved the little one-way valve inside the breather pipe to the end farthest from the engine, so it didn't act as a pump for any splashes that came up the tube. It seemed to work for him. Me? I'm too lazy, and just top it up.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Gio
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by Gio »

Whatsisname wrote:snip......... Me? I'm too lazy, and just top it up.

At least when you top up, you add fresh clean oil and providing you do not get dirt into the engine, it can only be a good thing. :D

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

I think it may also be that Suzuki design the engine with an oil cooling spray that is 'fired' at the underside of the piston on most of their engines. I think it is the same on the Burgman too. If that is the case the Burgman will suffer some small amount of oil usage on longer faster runs where the piston gets super heated at highway/motorway speeds causing some oil to literally evaporate and the vapour exit through the engine breather. My big Vtwin Vstrom is the same when doing long fast runs. If the engine is still very young as has already been said, the rings may not yet be bedded in fully and that's another cause. I wouldn't worry about it as it will almost certainly settle down as you put more miles on it. Just keep checking your level.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Post by macamxthe1st »

If you are too gentle with the break in or follow Suzuki's ludicrous 4,000rpm break in advice then high oil useage is a lot more likely.

Geoff.