Wind protection

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
c4aok
Current Ride: gp800 and mp3 400

Wind protection

Post by c4aok »

Guys sorry to sound like a wimp but the huge negative for me on a bike has always been wind noise around the helmet, even with ear plugs.

I am over six foot and a long body so the wind generally hits me square on the helmet even at moderate speeds.

My mp3 400 is noisy and my new toy the gp800 is actually worse even with "larger" screen which is motorised.

Any suggestions for a taller screen I can retro fit to protect my over sensitive ears?

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Re: Wind protection

Post by wozza »

For wind buffeting around the head area - I've always found a lower screen is the best. I would rather the wind blast on my shoulders than around the head area creating unbearable noise and discomfort.
They'll be many different opinions on this, so you'll hear a variety of different answers.
SEAT MO

c4aok

Post by c4aok »

Good tip thanks had not considered that.

My preference would be a large screen to hide behind though but short of the crazy half pipe on the original mp3s and some of the little pizza scooters they seem to be rare

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

I agree with Wozza, get a shorter screen and take it in the chest instead of the face.

What lid do you have?
I stick to the quieter ones, usually costs me more though
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

By one of Lyn's steel butt plugs he just made, that'll stop it :D

http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 20&t=15726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

i agree also, i had the standard stock screen on the nexus and never ever had noise to helmet, as soon as i got the bigger ermax screen, the wind noise was straight to helmet so i lowered it, the j300 givi screen is another thing, its superb, i can see over it yet i have no noise at all, so if its half way then no good, i suppose thats were an add on to the screen you got is what you need.
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I have a laminar lip. It really cut down the helmet buffeting on the majesty.

c4aok

Post by c4aok »

I have a shoei with whisper curtain. I have never understood why so many of the larger screens look "unstyled". The standard mp3 screens are very attractive but the givi options definitely look aftermarket.

The version on the gp looks good but I will experiment with it in the lower positions. I was definitely not made for the naked bike style which is why I rejected the mana and the Honda dn01.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Funkycowie wrote:By one of Lyn's steel butt plugs he just made, that'll stop it :D

http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 20&t=15726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those collectors items are all sold Funky,,,,limited run and all that :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah...it can be difficult to say, and what works for one person may not work for anyone else.

A short screen can it make it quiet - for a time I had a very short screen on the mk2 Tmax and that was quiet, and I also cut down a standard screen and that was quiet as well. BUT it was damned cold, and with the cut down screen all the road crap got thrown directly onto my visor.

On the other hand, if you are tall, a tall screen will probably work - Givi make lots of HUGE screens for everything so start there. Can also try people like Ermax or Secdem. Otherwise poke around Italian websites and Italian e-bay as there are loads more scooter bits in Italy than in the UK