burgman 650 - good purchase??

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Black Wing
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 650 L4 Black

Re: burgman 650 - good purchase??

Post by Black Wing »

irev wrote:
Dave Weller wrote:I do think that the 400 Burgman is a better scoot, and I've owned both, for solo use.
So have I, with around 80,000 mile across both types, and agree with Dave. Sigfiddy is a car but has running costs on a par with a mo'sickle, The 400 may not have the ultimate performance or fancy gizmos, but as a maxi it probably fits the bill better, with lower costs and just as much comfort for solo riding. The only reason I switched was because I moved out of London and used the SigFiddy to do the high-speed run back to the relatives.

But I kept the 400 in my mums garage and used that to potter around between them.

Says it all, really.

I have owned both but regretted buying the 400 in 2002 due to the need for me to overtake on single carriageway roads. I traded it in for a V-Strom 650 after 6 months.

Now have the 2014 650 and loving it!

Please try both before you decide!
Ken.

Experience is something I only ever get a second after I really need it!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Dave Weller wrote:I do think that the 400 Burgman is a better scoot, and I've owned both, for solo use.
Curiously, the one scoot I've never ridden is the 400 Burger even though I've owned the 200 and 650 versions. Isn't the handling on the 650 better than the 400? Early 400s were described by journos as a bit scooter-flexible to handle, or has this been one of the things that they improved over its long life?

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I think the 2007 update sorted out a few issues, the seat height increased a bit, the engine size became a full 400cc and does not use oil between changes, a stronger belt is fitted, it has good power to overtake on motorways, the fuel injection system works well and the single cylinder engine pulls hard above 5000rpm . Handling is no problem, it's light enough to flick through bends and very stable, you can alter course when leaning over to miss the dreaded pothole on your chosen line if need be.
The 650 handles very well and is well planted on the road, probably due to the extra weight, but I think the 400 has the edge on corners if it's set up properly.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

irev
Current Ride: AN400

Post by irev »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Curiously, the one scoot I've never ridden is the 400 Burger even though I've owned the 200 and 650 versions. Isn't the handling on the 650 better than the 400? Early 400s were described by journos as a bit scooter-flexible to handle, or has this been one of the things that they improved over its long life?
I used to ride round the outside of sportsbikes, sidesaddle, on the 400. It was also the only machine I have ridden on the road I was happy (!) locking up both wheels. Even had a fun ride home up the A23 from Brighton to SW London in heavy snow

I would never try any of that on a 650...

Back to old argument about the law of diminishing returns. Unless your envelope and performance requirements dictate the 650 (prolonged high speed; overtaking capability or lots of two-up work for example) the 400 will do everything the 650 will do, cheaper. The 650 makes a better car (apart from the wheels, unless your Meldrew), the 400 a better scoot IMO.
No door is closed to an open mind.
Except a closed door, which a mind can't open, but even a stupid hand can.

maxiscoot nz
Current Ride: maxi

Post by maxiscoot nz »

irev wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:
I used to ride round the outside of sportsbikes, sidesaddle, on the 400. It was also the only machine I have ridden on the road I was happy (!) locking up both wheels. Even had a fun ride home up the A23 from Brighton to SW London in heavy snow

I would never try any of that on a 650...

Back to old argument about the law of diminishing returns. Unless your envelope and performance requirements dictate the 650 (prolonged high speed; overtaking capability or lots of two-up work for example) the 400 will do everything the 650 will do, cheaper. The 650 makes a better car (apart from the wheels, unless your Meldrew), the 400 a better scoot IMO.
Sound words good advise +1

spaceprobe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i ABS

Post by spaceprobe »

Or you could just buy the fab value amazing Maxsym 600, has my Suzuki / SYM dealer says he does not know why anybody would choose the Burg over the SYM since it is just not worth the extra cost. (that will wake everybody up)
Maximum respect

Black Wing
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 650 L4 Black

Post by Black Wing »

spaceprobe wrote:Or you could just buy the fab value amazing Maxsym 600, has my Suzuki / SYM dealer says he does not know why anybody would choose the Burg over the SYM since it is just not worth the extra cost. (that will wake everybody up)
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :kiss:
Ken.

Experience is something I only ever get a second after I really need it!

spaceprobe
Benefactor

Post by spaceprobe »

Oh god I woke Meldrew up
Maximum respect

spaceprobe
Benefactor

Post by spaceprobe »

It stops the dementia settling in. It's a lovely day here to time to hang out the washing and get to the gym.
Maximum respect

spaceprobe
Benefactor

Post by spaceprobe »

And I look fabulous in in gym shorts. And can't beleive how hot it is wore my leather jacket and the I am roasting
Maximum respect