SYM festival

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Re: SYM festival

Post by Globs »

The nearest dealer to me who actually seems to have stock is in London!

There is a dealer nearer but they have no stock. Except my Joyride that they've had 2 weeks now for a new dash and engine light issue.. I hope they are able to get the spares they need eventually.

One day I may get to see a new SYM maxi-scooter - we'll just have to see if I trust SYMUK/Steve enough to buy one when/if that occurs! Maybe I just expect too much and should just get a Majesty S for the next scooter? ;)

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Sym uk has been very inactive of late on here , and i don`t see any sym scoots in my dealers just brochures ,so the nearest thing to a test ride is reading spaceprobes reviews . The dealers will be reluctant to get them in due to time of year unless they are on a sale /return bases to motogb .

gn2

Post by gn2 »

The Maxsym 600 has been a complete sales flop.
Launched onto the market in Q2 this year only eight were registered, not all eight were actual sales.
No Q3 figures yet, but it will be interesting to see if any more have been shifted.
Put ABS and mph speedo on the 400 and it would be a half decent scooter.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

gn2 wrote:The Maxsym 600 has been a complete sales flop.
Launched onto the market in Q2 this year only eight were registered, not all eight were actual sales.
No Q3 figures yet, but it will be interesting to see if any more have been shifted.
Put ABS and mph speedo on the 400 and it would be a half decent scooter.
Yes, 8 isn't that many. While Steve (who _is_ SYMUK) continues to boycott the shows and fails to publicize the brand I can only see sales going very slowly. I doubt most scooter customers even know the brand exists and if there's not one in the shop no sales will be made.

My experience of 2-3 years ago when I rang SYMUK up to find out where there was a silver GTS300 was that they didn't really want big sales because they'd run out of bikes - they seem content with a stead trickle of sales here and there - without the burdens of success.

The scooters themselves are great but no one knows that. Ideally SYM need a distributor who is willing to distribute: perhaps in the scooter field finding a decent one is a very difficult thing. For the big 4 Japanese firms they just fit in alongside the organisation but a newcomer like SYM is obviously finding it difficult to make headway. Kymco on the other hand appear to be enthusiastic and supportive and enjoy a good presence - along with the Kwak deal of course!

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

Hey all.

Have to say it is a real shame that the Maxsym 600 isn't better publicised. I've had mine 3 weeks now and love it. It's my 5th scooter, (previously have had 2 Hondas, an Aprilia and a Yamaha) and this is easily my favourite.
The KPH speedo was a bit of a pain at the start but not so bad, once you've memorised the 4 speeds you really need to know.
And handles excellently around town, feels very stable at slow speeds, you can practically balance it when it is almost at a stop!

Mike.

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

Great feedback, Mike!
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

spaceprobe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i ABS

Post by spaceprobe »

Mike do you almost feel like you don't need to put your feet down when you stop. I find the heater works best when the wheel is one stop up from fully open.
Maximum respect

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Don't get me wrong about SYM machines because of my earlier comment above :D

I was was merely venting frustration on the oft mentioned lack of dealers holding bigger machines. I'd love to be able to pop in and check out the Joymax 300, 400 and Maxsym. From what mac65 and Spaceprobe have written about their bikes, I think that we are all missing out on the chance to evaluate these good looking and reliable scoots.

I have owned a SYM Shark 125 that I bought off a mate, which proved reliable and quite nippy; and knowing how well this Shark ran and how well made it was, I'll keep looking out for a new or used SYM 300, 400 and 600.

Anyway, there is a SYM dealer who is 12 miles up the road but he has yet to stock anything bigger than the 125 machines. I ring him now and again but always with the same answer; he can't afford or risk the expenditure of holding bigger capacity SYMs.

So, for the meantime, I'll read a few more reports on mac65's Joymax 300 and your 600i Spaceprobe - very soon I hope! ;)

irev
Current Ride: AN400

Post by irev »

The job of the dealer is to sell the product. The job of creating the market for the product rests entirely with the Distributor.

I blame no dealer for failing to stock the Maxi range when he can't afford the risk or expenditure... right up to the point where he gets a second enquiry. Then frankly, the dealer is missing out and should be doing something about it - including reminding the distributor of the onus to create a market based on latent or perceived demand. Any distributor who can't control a floating demo fleet of 2-3 scoots that can be assigned for a couple of weeks to dealers in turn is not deserving of any business. There are at least three target areas for new customers for Maxi's at the present time that are not being tapped by anyone, dormant distributor or their somnambulant stockists.

I simply cannot accept that any dealer who tells someone asking for it, "There's no demand..." should even be in business, much less the maxi business.

Ergo, what was a firm enquiry for SYM from me is now a solid Kymco potential customer.
Their 400 has ABS.
Their local dealer has stock.

And I can't even see a Sym 600 in the flesh without going to Brighton, much less test ride one.

No surprise at all to learn only 8 have been registered.
No door is closed to an open mind.
Except a closed door, which a mind can't open, but even a stupid hand can.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

irev wrote: .... what was a firm enquiry for SYM from me is now a solid Kymco potential customer...
Well, recently, I've been checking out the Kymco range at GT's here in Plymouth. The dealership has just this summer taken on selling Kymco machines which I can look at. It's early days and the machines stocked are the 125s again. However, in the same showroom can be found the J300, in limited supply, the Burgman range, and next door in the separate showroom are the Honda scoots.

I'm considering the J300 again for my come-rain-or-shine, commutes which are more frequent and further afield this Autumn.