Bigger Scooter

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
labrat
Current Ride: Xevo 125

Bigger Scooter

Post by labrat »

Evening

This is probably going to be a really silly question, so I apologise in advance.

I currently hold A1 licence for 125 automatic but have now decided that I now need a larger bike.

I have been looking online about doing my test for a larger bike and it all seems to be on a manual. I have no interest in a manual bike as I really love my scooter.

Is there anyway I can get my licence on an automatic. I want to get a 400cc possibly a 650cc.

Thanks for your time.

Deleted User 4154

Re: Bigger Scooter

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Yes, you can do your test on a big scooter but you might struggle to find a riding school that has such a thing.

I would just do the manual test, that way if you subsequently find that you want to ride geared bikes (as I did) you'll be free to do so.

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

I did mine in 2010 on a 125 runner. But I don't think they do autos anymore, but don't quote me on that lol

Deleted User 4154

StevenM wrote:I did mine in 2010 on a 125 runner. But I don't think they do autos anymore, but don't quote me on that lol
You can't get a full licence by doing your test on a 125 any more, he needs to find somewhere with a big maxi or do the full geared test.

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

Jaz wrote:
StevenM wrote:I did mine in 2010 on a 125 runner. But I don't think they do autos anymore, but don't quote me on that lol
You can't get a full licence by doing your test on a 125 any more, he needs to find somewhere with a big maxi or do the full geared test.
Thanks. I didn't know for a fact.

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

that statement isn't quite true

you can still get a licence on an auto 125 but cant progress like you used to after two years

a1 is a 125cc licence which op already has
there is a few schools about with big autos but they are few and far between
also the burgman is a heavy beast and will make mod 1 difficult I'm guessing
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

bornagainbiker
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by bornagainbiker »

As we are Honda, our riding school uses an Integra and NC750DCT for the larger auto licenses.
http://www.newcastlemotorcycles.co.uk/p ... o-ride.htm
2018 Honda Forza 300 Daelim S3 Advance 250 Piaggio Fly 125 3v Burgman 650 L1 Burgman 400 K8

Deleted User 4154

andyscooter wrote:you can still get a licence on an auto 125 but cant progress like you used to after two years

a1 is a 125cc licence which op already has
Yes, sorry, I probably should have made myself clearer. By 'full licence' I was referring to one that would allow the OP to ride stuff larger than 125cc.

mr fish
Current Ride: CRF1000l Africa twin MSX125

Post by mr fish »

I would just learn on a geared bike that way you have freedom of choice or phone around all the schools to see if they have an auto ...bornagainbikers post has a valid link

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Or find someone local that is willing to ride to the test centre with you and let you use their large auto just for the test? So long as any insurance covers that?
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...