Moving up on an Automatic license

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Re: Moving up on an Automatic license

Post by Gerard C »

Gn2 - the whole point is that if you are riding a 125 already on the road, especially if you take your test for the experience. Then riding a bigger capacity Scooter is a small step to take. So why is it so complicated to move up?
Gloria is a case in point. Someone who has no desire towards being a proper. "Biker", can, with very little cost and trouble move upwards on similar bikes. All that's needed is a biking friend to help get to the test centre. Oh and a bike to do it on. It's not a disaster if you fail because you learn and can still keep riding your smaller bike.

I can think of one long term learner who could do this route so easily. I bet he could borrow a bike for the exercise.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Getting a manual licence needn't be anything to do with aspiration to a "proper" bike.
Take servicing.
All bikes/scooters need servicing.
If you have your bike/scooter serviced at a dealer and have a geared licence you have a much better chance of getting a courtesy bike.
Geared licence = courtesy bike
Auto licence = the bus
Recently I have ridden two bikes I had no interest in whatsoever.
The fact that I have a geared licence meant that I was able to ride an XV950 and an R3 while my Forza was in for service/warranty/recall work.
Ordinarily there's no way I would ever choose to ride either, but the fact that I had a geared licence allowed me to learn that both were actually rather fun to ride and I had a real hoot on both.
Seems to me that advocacy of a limiting automatic licence is more narrow minded than encouragement to do the test on a geared bike.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Gerard C wrote:So why is it so complicated to move up?
You would really need to ask the government that one.
The costs are the same whether the thing has gears or not.

roygib
Benefactor
Current Ride: sym symphony st Yamaha Tricity

Post by roygib »

You have to pay hundreds of pounds,plus many training hours to get a bike licence,than they let anybody with a car licence who past there test before Jan,2013,just take to the road on a mp3 500 or fuoco 800 with no test at all.Totally unfair.

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

Gn2 I'm. Not advocating anything, all I am illustrating is way of increasing the range of power of the bikes you want to ride. You. Could do the same thing on a geared bike. Steps along a path that saves going to a School.
To forestall the next comeback - training, all training is worthwhile but there's no need to make the assumption that everybody aspires to the full license and what's worse don't offer any stages. It seems its CBT then pressured - because nothing else is available, onto a large capacity, geared bike. That cannot be right.

How about you going to a Driving School and them insisting they will only train you up to drive a HGV on the basis that you might want to someday and its worth having.

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

Absolutely right Roy.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

theres a fuoco 800???
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

victor
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman Exec 650 K9

Post by victor »

You were lucky your scooter was ok and on the list for the test centre, lve seen the list some years ago and not every bike or scooter is on it, just because its a 400 cc does not mean that test centre will recognise it simply because its not on their list.

Gerard C
Benefactor

Post by Gerard C »

That's a very good point Victor. I had forgotten that other strange quirk in getting onto two wheels.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

victor wrote:You were lucky your scooter was ok and on the list for the test centre, lve seen the list some years ago and not every bike or scooter is on it, just because its a 400 cc does not mean that test centre will recognise it simply because its not on their list.
Good point. Here is the list for anyone interested.