Street version of the Kymco K50 Concept

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Re: Street version of the Kymco K50 Concept

Post by smeghead »

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote:I'm just picturing that in green and matt black with a few tweaks and some Kwak badges. 8-)
Hmmm Yes! Though I'm guessing that Kwak J500 might be more 'all their own work' than a rebadged Kymco.....but I could be wrong. I'd imagine that Kawasaki would really want to emphasize the sporty nature of their scoot, to reflect their brand image.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Thanks - quite a lot of info in there (though 'light as a feather' seems a bit optimistic!). Goodness, its so much like a Tmax in so many ways, except that its got a BMW engine and rear shock! 270 degree crank with 2 balancer shafts just like BMW.

Not sure about the variable 1 or 2 input valve design. This sounds like the same concept as the Honda VFR800 engine which most people disliked due to the huge step between modes, not to mention the costly valve clearance checks. Is such a concept really useful with a CVT equipped scoot?

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I would hope the well documented issues BMW had with their scoots have been well and truly engineered out. I heard that BMW were responsible for the issues as they refused to accept the recommendations of Kymco. I'm no engineer but I'm sure I Read this somewhere. I believe these K50's will be at the top of the game.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

I really want a test ride of one, together with a XP530 then decide... on which would be my next scoot.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

The engine is a Kymco design and shares no parts with the cheap BMW design at all. It has a huge WET clutch and the variable valve timing supposedly has it run on either 1 or 2 intake valves per cylinder, depending upon demand/load.

With BMW having revamped the C650 Sport to be heads-up competition with the Tmax 530, now Kymco raises the bar further, to try to surpass them BOTH. H-m-m-m-m, wonder what Yamaha has up their sleeve? I don't thing they will relinquish their dominance of the sport maxi market quite yet...
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Funkycowie wrote:I really want a test ride of one, together with a XP530 then decide... on which would be my next scoot.
Yes, a test ride of this back to back with the next version of the Tmax and the Kwak J500 sounds good! I think I just saw squadron of pigs flying by the window.......

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

That looks very trick, would like to see that coming out. icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

SkuTorr wrote:The engine is a Kymco design and shares no parts with the cheap BMW design at all. It has a huge WET clutch and the variable valve timing supposedly has it run on either 1 or 2 intake valves per cylinder, depending upon demand/load.

With BMW having revamped the C650 Sport to be heads-up competition with the Tmax 530, now Kymco raises the bar further, to try to surpass them BOTH. H-m-m-m-m, wonder what Yamaha has up their sleeve? I don't thing they will relinquish their dominance of the sport maxi market quite yet...
The Kymco engine is at least superficially similar to the BMW engine in many ways (even possibly the cc), apart from the variable valve timing. Not quite sure that this will surpass the Tmax, as it looks like a clone in many ways! So far, Kymco have produced very good scooters that match the market leaders, but haven't really stretched the envelope - though at a cheaper price than the their top class competitors. I suspect Yamaha are more interested in what Kawasaki might do - they are more likely to produce something more radical than Kymco.

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

Love the comments yet i cant see kawasaki developing from concept. Why would they. When kymco will let them jump aboard and alter colour ect.
Kymco then have additional complete underpin sales of thete scoot. The kymco 400i sales worldwide figures probably dont justy the development costs
I would suspect kawa and kymco are already in bed with this one
Which is not a bad thing at all considering tooling costs etc
Think of honda and there cost savings on models having same inderpinings like cars really
Kymco and. Kwaka are in bed for sure
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.