Mk1 TMax Transmission Grumble

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
kav
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Mk1 TMax Transmission Grumble

Post by kav »

So as per subject my TMax has a transmission issue :( .

Took to the garage and essentially opinion was that really just too difficult/time consuming (and therefore expensive to repair). Best bet being to cut my losses and not throw good money after bad. The bike is 2003 with 40k on the clock.

I do have a spare swing arm transmission but apparently the TMax also has another transmission of the RHS of the engine and, of course, this is where the noise is coming from.

I'd pretty much then decided to dry me eyes and stick on ebay as spares or repair. But riding it into work had second thoughts as really goes great, just noisy when at standstill. So another option is just keep riding it until something goes pop.

Or the final option is finding somewhere that can repair such things? I live in South London but don't mind the travel. Can anyone recommend a place with experience in this work - I'm told its quite a complex bit of Engineering.

Thanks

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Mk1 TMax Transmission Grumble

Post by MrGrumpy »

Hmmm it might be helpful to give us a bit more info on the issue, the symptoms and what you know about it. The CVT itself is relatively simple, but I guess the problem isn't with that but with something between the CVT and the chain drive?

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

As mrgrumpy says - we really require more detail - I would have thought that 40K on a tmax was nothing

kav
Benefactor

Post by kav »

IMG_1015.JPG
The noise which has now turned into more of a knock than a grumble is from the circular disc shown in the pic here.

I'll see if I can upload a vid with sound.

kav
Benefactor

Post by kav »

Not sure why that photo is at 90 degrees right way around on my computer.

Lets see if this works; vid that shows the knocking noise.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7OU4 ... Wdua0RyNFk

kav
Benefactor

Post by kav »

The vid was just taken at cold start up when the knocking is at its worst. Riding along no problems smooth and pulls well and you wouldn't think anything was wrong.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

AFAIK, the disk is merely a styling feature, but behind that will be the CVT. Much more knowledgable people on here should be able to give better advice, but it sounds like one of the CVT pulleys has worn in some way, or perhaps the bearing has gone if it has one. In any event there's not a lot to a CVT so I guess its fixable, except for the minor matter of Yamaha spare parts prices!

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

could be the rear transmission cover bearing, look at big wheels turning video as you can dismantle yourself the below is his number two video, which shows the tranny cover bearings in situe, number one video will show how to dismantle fairings to get to it. hopefully its the tranny cover bearing, as cant see it being a roller as that would continue being noisy all the time. anyways worth a look yourself seen as you have another ride :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

iandunn1100ss
Current Ride: Yamaha tmax mk1

Post by iandunn1100ss »

I had a similar noise at about the same miles. It was the slider pieces in the variator unit. They had never been changed and all but fell to pieces whern I replaced them.
Ian
Current bikes
2004 Yamaha tmax mk1 silver
2008 Triumph 675 Daytona in blue
1999 Aprilia rsv mille black and silver
2001 Aprilia rs250 black and red
2002 bmw r1100s frost blue
2005 bmw k1200s blue/white
1998 Honda cbr900rr bronze/grey

kav
Benefactor

Post by kav »

I really could do with a recommendation of somewhere to take the scooter if anyone has got one.

In London garages are just not interested in anything complex, and I can understand why. There is large demand given the number bikes. For everyone of me there are another 10 who just need a service or brake rebuild, known quantity, easy money in the bank, happy customer, no need to keep the bike overnight (storage is always an issue).

I really don't have the skills, never mind the tools, to do this.