Scooter for a big bloke

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: Scooter for a big bloke

Post by Bluebottle »

Definitely the '07 onwards, better all round imho.

Some have abs and keep an eye out for "ZA", "ltd", "limited" or "exec" included in the description. It is all the same thing, you get ABS, heated grips, passenger backrest and sparkly paint.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Well done on the theory and hazard tests Mr Colchester...
Roll on Friday... Steady Eddie...
Oh and when looking for 400 Burgers, Dont overlook the Yam 400 Majesty if one crosses your path...

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

burgman 400 is a good scoot

mine was the 2001 version but was a pretty good all rounder to be fair
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

MattColchester

Post by MattColchester »

Bluebottle wrote:Definitely the '07 onwards, better all round imho.

Some have abs and keep an eye out for "ZA", "ltd", "limited" or "exec" included in the description. It is all the same thing, you get ABS, heated grips, passenger backrest and sparkly paint.

Thanks Bluebottle, I’ll look out for that. I’m checking eBay and Gumtree fairly often to see what’s around.
XMax400Paul wrote:Well done on the theory and hazard tests Mr Colchester...
Roll on Friday... Steady Eddie...
Oh and when looking for 400 Burgers, Dont overlook the Yam 400 Majesty if one crosses your path...
Thanks Paul, I’ll read up on the Maj then,
andyscooter wrote:burgman 400 is a good scoot

mine was the 2001 version but was a pretty good all rounder to be fair
Thanks Andy, I’ve seen a few older Burgmans going for quite reasonable prices, might well have a look at those as well then. Can’t be bad for a first bike, hey?

Just an update.. I took my Mod 1 test today about 3pm. Considering all I’ve had at this point was my CBT a month ago (not altogether satisfactory experience it must be said), 2 hour lesson a couple weeks ago and a few hours yesterday and a couple hours today I was very nervous. In fact, I was more nervous than I remember being for my car driving test. Was really struggling with the U turns for some reason, everything else was ok more or less.

So went to Ipswich today with my instructor, there was a cancelled test slot as the bloke beforehand had just come off his bike on the way ( :shock: didn’t help my nerves any) so went for the earlier slot. Slalom was very shaky at first, thought was going to put my foot down at one point and I’ve never done that before. Figure of 8 ok ish. Then slow ride - fine, don’t mind that. Then..the dreaded u turn....words of my instructor in my head “get on that clutch! Ride to me!” heart pumping away...did it fine somehow, really don’t know how but did it perfectly. As you can imagine...Adrenalin pumping at this point...I thought I was home free. The controlled stop..fine..seemed a bit slow but thought that was nerves.

Next...emergency stop...first time, perfect stop but knew I wasn’t fast enough..45km/h at the trap..needs to be 50...strange as I never had problem in training really. Again..nerves? Examiner told me to do it again...getting really nervous again...really gave it some beans in 2nd coming out of the bend...revs seemed really high even in 2nd and I flew at it..found out later 59 at the trap. Avoidance exercise..again struggled with speed, thinking I was falling apart with nerves..45 at the trap..did it again, apparently somehow managed 54. Went back to gate, did all checks, no idea of end result...in my worried state, assumed I’d forgotten something or

Got back....I’d passed!!!! 2 minors on the failed speed attempts. The examiner asked me what gear I was in for the emergency and avoidance as he could hear “it bouncing of Rev limiter” and he could “smell the clutch”...I didn’t have a clue about that but just so happy I passed. Instructor said he has had problems before on the bike with clutches - 3rd or 4th one apparently. The other instructors in waiting room were pissing themselves apparently at the speed I did, apparently 59 is on the high side :D

He did some brief work on the clutch cable and said it should get us home. Went to leave the centre and coming back a14, felt familiar lack of power again and it went...broke down on a14. rEnded up on back of instructors bike for a lift back to Colchester before he went back to get it with the car and trailer. Thinking about it on way back, the speed issues I had were with that clutch, that’s why I struggled with the speed, I was revving the beans out of it and getting nowhere. So lucky it held out for the test..just about...

Sorry for wall of text but had to get this down somewhere for posterity! Onwards to Mod 2 at some point. I’m so relieved I got though it.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Nice post matt...
Congrats... Sounds like you earnt it...
Have a serious word about the state of the bike... Might get a discount on the next part...
Onwards!

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

well done
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Congrats on the pass!!

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Congrats Matt, weldone carry on on-wards and upward..
Lyn.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

Congratulations!
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

Well done Matt. One more of us, one less of them :-)
So is it now shopping time? Winter is a good time to buy, the dealers are desperate for sales.
You might also consider a 600 silverwing, great bikes but possibly a bit much for town riding.