Heated grips

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Heated grips

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Has anyone fitted heated grips to the Mk 3 TMax?
I'm thinking of getting the Oxford premium touring grips and a relay so could just go from a running light or headlight and power from the battery, I just thought I remembered someone on here saying there was a connector at the front of the bike just for this very application.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Re: Heated grips

Post by Funkycowie »

Yes, easy enough to do, there is an accessory socket/connector behind the nose on the right side.

I tried the grip glue method with my R&G Grips but ended up using electrical tape wrapped round the handle bars.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Ah thanks Funkie.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I fitted Oxford heated grips to my Tmax Mk3 a few weeks ago. The latest Oxford ones dont need a relay, the electronics sense when the alternator 'ripple' stops and turns the grips off to prevent a flat battery. I just wired mine straight across the battery as per the instructions, job done.

They are superb grips, I got mine online for about half RRP.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Just bear in mind the Oxfords all come in differing sizes (lengths), with the standard 22mm diameter. Be careful to check your length required. I went for the Oxford Advanced Touring grips because they were long and able to cover the complete handlebar with just a tiny bit to trim off. I'm talking about my GTS Vespa which will most likely be different to the length required for your Tmax. The instructions tell you how much you can trim. I wired mine as per the instructions straight to the battery and must say they are really hot and toasty, much better than my standard oem Burgman heated grips. There are 9 heat setting on the ones I bought. Quality of the Oxfords is 100% better these days over what it was just a few years back. Good luck!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Pukmeister wrote: I just wired mine straight across the battery as per the instructions, job done.

They are superb grips, I got mine online for about half RRP.
Just FYI some people have claimed the auto-off doesn't always work. I think my V8 controller starts blinking as soon as I switch the engine off so if yours does that just confirm it's doing it (I.e. that it's got the message) before you leave the bike.

Also many wire it into the lighting circuit - something I was forced to do - without ill effect.
I did wire my underseat and topbox 12V accessory sockets via a car relay into the battery - switched by the lighting circuit though so I knew they were off when the bike was off!

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

Just bought a set for the lads Kawasaki z750 sum-ut-or-other.... fitted them the other day so his boxing day ride will be a little warmer.
He has not been in the garage yet::: i did test them and yes they blink when the motor is turned off and go off two mins later.
The new model has waterproof connectors at long last. Only problem with this fitting was the left grip had to be enlarged a little.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

kayz1 wrote:.... fitted them the other day so his boxing day ride will be a little warmer....
Did your son go for his Boxing Day ride? Is it not lashing-it-down? It is bloody torrential here in Plymouth - good job I live at the top of a hill!

I like the sound of these new direct-to-battery grips.

Enjoy yer Boxing Day all.

2wheelover51

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Funkycowie wrote:Yes, easy enough to do, there is an accessory socket/connector behind the nose on the right side.

I tried the grip glue method with my R&G Grips but ended up using electrical tape wrapped round the handle bars.
So the accessory socket will only be live with ignition on, so no need for the relay.
Does anyone know what current the grips draw (about) ?
Cheers.

Dismal grey and raining here in Dorset also. :|

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

2wheelover51 wrote:So the accessory socket will only be live with ignition on, so no need for the relay.
Does anyone know what current the grips draw (about) ?
Not sure about the current but yes the accessory socket has power only when ignition on.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...