Would you buy a used helmet

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Would you buy a used helmet

Post by Symcity »

Argyll wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm I've been looking at new prices for the J-Cruise (in white) and £260 seems to be the best so far, from XL Moto.
Aye - but I’ve got a massive heid - no J cruise in white in size xl at XL moto - actually I prefer the J wing with double D fastener though they are very hand to find

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Symcity wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:07 pm I’m chasing a Shoei J cruise type of helmet on fleabay however someone else keeps counter bidding immediately after I’ve made a bid - does make you wonder if the seller is actually bidding himself - here’s a link to the item - currently I’m outbid
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shoei-Adult- ... 1431.l2649
Don't bid there's an app sellers can use to bump up the price they want to really sell for.
It's usually seen in the job lot clearance type sellers selling chinese Chod thats bought by the crate

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Thanks scootypuff snr - I’m thinking this might be a scam - I’ll be interested who the successful bidder is

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Meldrew wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:03 am Why would you buy a helmet from an eBay seller whose ad states the helmet is NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE. Where else are you supposed to be wearing it.
I did factor that in - assumed it was some weird american rule - I deduce therefore that the helmet does not meet the standards of the federal governments Department of Transport DOT standards that all helmets sold for motorcycling on public streets must meet. The standard is Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 (FMVSS 218) and is known commonly as the DOT helmet standard. Why this particular Shoei lid does not meet this standard is unknown to me.

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

A definite NO.But I did buy An Arai from a good mate 20 years ago,sadly he died so glad I have the helmet now.Helmets are cheap enough to buy new in my opinion,I just bought a Shoei full face from J&S and bike show imminent bargains galore.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

My last couple of lids have been bought on line from Lids direct when they have a sale on. I go to J+S and make sure my chosen lid will fit first. I dont feel guilty as I fell out with J+S years ago after they sold me a very old model helmet.When I found out and complained they said it wasn't a problem as it had been stored in a cool dark room. WTF!!!!
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

I don't think I'd buy a used one but I always got for last year's model at JS, at a knock-down price.

Greg
Current Ride: Yamaha xcity 125

Post by Greg »

Definite No !

Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Post by Luckydave »

Doesn’t matter how old a helmet is if it is stored properly in a box away from ultra violet and damp atmosphere,I was told this by Shoei guys when I had a free safety check on me helmet (crash helmet lol)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Arai say that you should chuck your helmet after 5 years of use, or 7 years in all. A cynic would say that they would say that, wouldn't they! I get over excited by the prospect of buying a new Arai somewhat before the 5 years are up normally, so its not a problem for me - though I usually retain an older helmet for use when I'll be parked up in slightly less desirable place in case it gets nicked.