Sym 300i Evo or Kymco 300i Downtown or ..?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Re: Sym 300i Evo or Kymco 300i Downtown or ..?

Post by Drago »

The GTS is slightly cheaper and also has a 3 year warranty as opposed to the downtowns 2year warranty.
It will be better on fuel as well, though it won't perfom as well and have a slightly lower top speed - but then will
she be doing more than 70mph?

The beverely looks bloody hideous and uncomfortable in my opion. Not just that, yes it may have 12,000 mile service intervals. So for some one like me I do 4000-5000 miles a year thats one service every 2-3 years. Hmmm... unserviced
bike for over two years... I don't think so! (Bet that'll invalidate the warranty as well! - well actually it only has a 2 year warranty.)

I suppose it really depends on her yearly mileage if its below 6000 miles then the SYM is fine only two services a year. I would go for the Kymco if she does over 6000 miles, but i don't know what a downtowns serrvice intervals are!
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

these are all machines i have considered too!! another point of view... resale values... sym prob lowest of them all - i had a piaggio x7 125cc machine a few years back very good scoot but quite light and not great out of town...... Check out all the new reviews of the beverly touring 350, its in Twist and Go magazine and gets a good write up.... 33 bhp and not a big lump , it does look slightly girly too... my second choice would be the kymco, all reviews state well made and very good engine...just my opinion , hope it helps....

gn2

Post by gn2 »

You can get an mph speedo for the Kymco, because the US version has one ;)

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Drago, the Bev 350 is due an oil change at 6000 miles and a major service at 12000 miles. would imagine there is a time interval on that too. Looks of course are subjective, I think it looks gorgeous but no use for taller riders as eg room is limited and the seat forces you to sit too far forward. I hated riding the 300, as it was cramped and slow, the 350 will still be cramped for us tall folk but apparently its a real flyer.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

The new X10 is only a few hundred squids more than the Bev350, so perhaps a bit of a bargain?
I have to say I really like the sound of those service intervals.

Drago
Benefactor

Post by Drago »

barryG wrote:Drago, the Bev 350 is due an oil change at 6000 miles and a major service at 12000 miles. would imagine there is a time interval on that too. Looks of course are subjective, I think it looks gorgeous but no use for taller riders as eg room is limited and the seat forces you to sit too far forward. I hated riding the 300, as it was cramped and slow, the 350 will still be cramped for us tall folk but apparently its a real flyer.
So they're lying about the service intervals then, over 12,000 miles intervals they boast on the website. Ha! not really 6000miles! What a joke - funny if SYM had done this they would be torn apart. But no it's Piaggio so it's okay! :roll:

Also it's uncomfortable - So why have a 350cc motor if it's only suited for shorter journey's? Again a joke! You'll
be better off with a proper 400 maxi! Piaggio also say it's got all the performance for urban commuting. But if you did commute in a city a 125 is more than adequate, cheaper to buy and run! Unless you do 60mph+ throught city centres, which I doubt very much! I just can't see the point of this scooter - service interval are again bought in. If it's only
good for short journeys it will reach the time period as opposed to mileage interval first!

But the engine's power does sound good - But will it be reliable?

Don't forget the Kymco 300 produces 29.5hp. So to be honest this engine is not to special, when you think it's 50cc more and has a 50cc's 3.5hp extra anyway! To be honest i'd go for the cheaper, more pratical and better looking Downtown along as a decent dealer is nearby.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

So, you dont like the Beverly 350 :lol:

They have been a bit misleading by saying 12000 mile servicing, Im guessing the Italians dont consider an oil and filter change a service!!!! I wonder if they will be like they were with the Xevo etc. Service was due at 6000 miles but at 3000 you had to check the oil and brake pads but all the dealers said DIY and Piaggio honoured the warranty.

Still, its a damn site cheaper having an oil change at 6000 miles and a service at 12000 than SYM or Kymcos service every 200 yards ;)

I said also, the Bev is uncomfortable for ME, for a normal height person its probably fine. Piaggio claim 86mpg which is good, and personally I like the idea of a quick urban scooter. If you use dual carriageways and want to overtake then a 125 is pooh. I also expect Piaggio wanted to test out the engine on a few customers before using it elsewhere and as the Bev is a huge seller in mainland EU its a good scoot to put the new engine in.

BenR
Current Ride: Aprilia Atlantic sprint 500

Post by BenR »

You should also consider an Aprilia sport city cube 300i. I was toying with the idea of getting one but the 9ltr petrol tank put me off as I'd be filling it up everyday. :roll:

Drago
Benefactor

Post by Drago »

barryG wrote:So, you dont like the Beverly 350 :lol:

No I don't. Never been a fan of Piaggio Maxi's

They have been a bit misleading by saying 12000 mile servicing, Im guessing the Italians dont consider an oil and filter change a service!!!! I wonder if they will be like they were with the Xevo etc. Service was due at 6000 miles but at 3000 you had to check the oil and brake pads but all the dealers said DIY and Piaggio honoured the warranty.

But did anybody do this then have to claim on the warranty? - what was the result?

Still, its a damn site cheaper having an oil change at 6000 miles and a service at 12000 than SYM or Kymcos service every 200 yards ;)

Ah, but the 3000km SYM service is just for oil & inspection, the 6000km is for the air cleaner & inspection and 12000km for major service. My services are quite cheap as are parts. typically pay £70-90 in total unless you include tyres, brake pads etc when they do need replacing - so to be honest it's more an inconvience on time than on your wallet. Typically two hours so not exactly a major problem as people make out. Though I agree SYM do need to triple the service times, the bikes are reliable and built well enough!

I said also, the Bev is uncomfortable for ME, for a normal height person its probably fine. Piaggio claim 86mpg which is good, and personally I like the idea of a quick urban scooter. If you use dual carriageways and want to overtake then a 125 is pooh. I also expect Piaggio wanted to test out the engine on a few customers before using it elsewhere and as the Bev is a huge seller in mainland EU its a good scoot to put the new engine in.

Depends on what you define Urban as. I see it as residential streets and the roads that go through a town/city. Dual carriages and motorways typically run outside a city as opposed to in it , (would still have a 125 for brief dual carriage way journeys though). At least for Exeter, not to familiar with other cities. I wouldn't use a Maxi or engine over 250cc if I spend over 90% of a journey on congested city streets where the limits 30mph. I'm 5'7ft so not tall but to me that looks cramped and uncomfortable!
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

barryG
Benefactor

Post by barryG »

I had my Xevos light switch replaced under waranty and I did the DIY 3000 mile services myself. See, 3000kms is hopeless as I do that on holiday... be nice having to find a dealer abroad to keep your warranty intact!

Im not exactly over the moon about my Burgmans 4500 mile intervals but hey, in a couple of years I can have an X10 :D