George White

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sgt Ernie Bilko
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2010 Tmax mk 3

George White

Post by Sgt Ernie Bilko »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ation.html
:roll:
News filtered through early this morning and even has the tabloids reporting on the demise of what was the largest motorcycle dealer in the UK. Very sad, thoughts are with the staff who are now unemployed.

However when Piaggio was boasting about getting George White on board last year, much to the detriment of the smaller dealers and culling them so they could play with the big boys... well who would have thought it? Bet there's some frantic conversations going on now.... :roll:
Master Sgt E Bilko
RA15042699
Co B 3rd Platoon

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Re: George White

Post by TmaX9 »

Interesting to know when that deal was struck as to who needed who most?
Piaggio wanted to go up market, or GW desperate for anything to stem the flow of losses. Either way it didn't help.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Apparently, UK scooter sales (both small and maxi) boomed in 2011, so Piaggio OUGHT to have been doing well! Did Piaggio cull the wrong dealers?Conversely, sales of most bikes declined, except for Chelsea Tractor equivalent Adventure bikes .

Its a bad time all round for MC dealers....a little repair place I used near the office seems to have vanished off the face of the earth.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

holy shit! if it can happen to a well established "biggy" like them, who's next??????
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Bloody Hell, Ive been there quite a few times and am really shocked to hear of this.... however, would I have bought a bike from them ever, nope so maybe many other folk preffered to go somewhere more personal? Still a big shock as they sure were massive.

Sgt Ernie Bilko
Benefactor

TmaX9 wrote:Interesting to know when that deal was struck as to who needed who most?
Piaggio wanted to go up market, or GW desperate for anything to stem the flow of losses. Either way it didn't help.
In a nutshell. Probably not a marriage made in heaven. The days of big motorcycles stores is over (remember Carnell/Motorcycle City/Riossi?) Pity Piaggio didn't realise that before jumping into bed with Georgie, no doubt blinded by the number of units they could stuff up 'em.

The future lies with astute smaller dealers who know how to look after and nurture customers.... we held our own last year but 2012 looks like it could be tougher if we don't all up our game...
Master Sgt E Bilko
RA15042699
Co B 3rd Platoon

barryG
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300 SS

Post by barryG »

Not fair to put George in with Motorcycle City and Carnell, they truly were dreadful places.... George was just a bit too car dealer like. They did have some cracking deals now and again though, something the small dealers struggle to do. The futures not good short term.

On another totally different note,my wifes son was made redundant today from British Gas.... management staff cuts :(

Sgt Ernie Bilko
Benefactor

Not comparing the two Barry, far from it. I did work for Carnell for six short months. Luckily jumped ship before it hit the bloody big iceberg! :lol:
Master Sgt E Bilko
RA15042699
Co B 3rd Platoon

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Does that include the accessory stores or are they seperately controlled?
The Bolton "factory outlet" hasn't been open a year yet. I was in there the other day....just 3 staff and me.

By the way, I thought Philip Youles in Manchester had shut but they have just moved further up the hill, (near HG). They still have Piaggio/Vespa but they are concentrating on Triumph
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Did a search and answered my own question, Bolton has gone too.

I see that the Sun have their finger on the pulse as usual ".....told industry bible Motorcycle News
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1