Good pro-scooter article on BBC

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Re: Good pro-scooter article on BBC

Post by Maxsymuppet »

An increase in the number of scooters? In London maybe, but I haven't noticed an increase round my neck of the woods.

I think the reason is people's negative perception of anything with two wheels and an engine. 'Scooters (or motorbikes. 'They're the same thing') are no good because:

1. They're dangerous.
2. You have to put loads of gear on.
3. They're cold and wet.
4. They have no luggage space (how much luggage do people carry to work?)
5. My favourite: You can't get the wife and kids on the back (how many people take the wife and kids to work with them?)

I've had all five repeatedly. Until perceptions change people will just carry on commuting in their cars, spending a fortune on fuel and sitting in congestion. Fine - I'll just leave them all behind.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Maxsymuppet wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:47 pm An increase in the number of scooters? In London maybe, but I haven't noticed an increase round my neck of the woods.
The story (and this thread) are seven years old. There probably was an increase in scooters back then.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:08 pm People buying mp3s riding on car licence with no experience or training worries me more .Rather spend shit load on an mp3 than pay for training and pass test .
If you have to brake suddenly, an MP3 is far more forgiving than two wheels.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

StephenC wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:01 am
Maxsymuppet wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:47 pm An increase in the number of scooters? In London maybe, but I haven't noticed an increase round my neck of the woods.
The story (and this thread) are seven years old. There probably was an increase in scooters back then.
"Emma Petitt, 41, a sales manager from Brighton, is already riding a 125cc scooter, but is considering a new, bigger model. She is well aware of the dangers faced on city roads.

'When I ride around in Brighton, it terrifies me. Car drivers just don't look.' "

It obviously got so bad that she ditched her job, became an artist and moved to Spain in the 7 years since the article was written. 8-)

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

capitano wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 am
"Emma Petitt, 41, a sales manager from Brighton, is already riding a 125cc scooter, but is considering a new, bigger model. She is well aware of the dangers faced on city roads.

'When I ride around in Brighton, it terrifies me. Car drivers just don't look.' "

It obviously got so bad that she ditched her job, became an artist and moved to Spain in the 7 years since the article was written. 8-)
Funnily enough, a quick search on 192.com reveals that Emma Pettit of Brighton moved away in 2012, having been there since 2008.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

StephenC wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38 am

Funnily enough, a quick search on 192.com reveals that Emma Pettit of Brighton moved away in 2012, having been there since 2008.
Yes, she actually is an artist living in Spain, now. I wasn't being flippant ... for once. 😁

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

capitano wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:36 am
StephenC wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38 am

Yes, she actually is an artist living in Spain, now. I wasn't being flippant ... for once. 😁
I did wonder where that randomness of her being an artist and emigrating came from: but of course - you're a local.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

A couple of the comments are laughable... haha especially this one
As a rider of 'big' bikes, I think scooter riders should be subject to the same tests as us. Many seem dangerously unaware of the damage they can cause themselves and others through their actions.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

At least didn't call them mopeds which most do .