silver wing testride

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Re: silver wing testride

Post by Sylar »

Waldorf, You said my re-action word for word

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

I've never ridden or sat on one, but one thing that puts me right off is the poor mpg can't it drop to
30 odd mpg if ridden hard?! I know the older ones were thirstier than the 2006? onwards ones.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I get between 50 and 60 miles to the gallon....but then I remember I'm on the road, not the race-track, and ride accordingly.
Once again, it's down to the rider, not the machine. 8-)
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

burgerman
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda FJS600 Silverwing

Post by burgerman »

[quote="Meldrew"]Well each to their own, I don't find the Silver Wing that much different to ride than the 400 Burgman I used to have and it certainly behaves in city traffic and on winding roads with or without a pillion.[/quote

Same for me, and I agree with Waldorf's comment as well,
As I grow older, my mind doesn't just wander......sometimes it buggers off completely!!
You can't avoid growing up, but you can be immature all your life!

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

quote : meldrew..
"Phantom 309 is also on the maxi-touring forum and they have quite a lot of Silver Wing owners on there, they probably influenced his decision to get one in the first place and they've never posted about evil handling problems."
this may have been a slight influance,they haven't said about handling as they take it steady.whereas i like to "press on" when the mood strikes me.iv'e riden alot of geared bikes for alot of years,and the burgman 400(always consious of ground clearance) i had and the tmax where prob the best handling scoots that iv'e riden..the tmax well i'd take on anything that thought it could win easy an keep up wit them to the point where they gave up lmfao.
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Obviously the fuel consumption of all scoots does vary greatly depending on how you ride it. However, its my impression that for some unknown reason, the variability of results for the Silverwing seems far more than for other scoots.
On the one hand, we have Mr Meldrew who can get something in the mid 50s+ mpg from his, but on the other, some owners (and not just journos) struggle to get near 40.
Conversely most TMax owners seem to get something like 50 +/- a few mpg - though some Journos do push the figures down towards 40, though that seems rare.

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

30 odd mpg if ridden hard?! I know the older ones were thirstier than the 2006? onwards ones.
That's why I got rid of my Silverwing, it was soo thirsty :(

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

I agree; I've thought for some time that although the Silverwing hasn't been 'publically' updated, Honda have introduced subtle changes over the years.
Included in this have been engine tuning and, I feel sure, upgrading of the front suspension.
My feeling is based solely on observations of discussions on Forums and my experience being somewhat different from those with older models - totally unscientific and not proveable unless Honda make a statement for or against.

I know also that the Silverwing is capable of brisk starts from standstill - I managed to spin the rear wheel on a wet road soon after I bought mine when the traffic-light went green (and that was 2-up) - and it certainly doesn't help fuel economy!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

gn2

Post by gn2 »

phantom309 wrote:i like to "press on" when the mood strikes me
You mean you don't feel that the law applies to you so choose to ignore it?
Hopefully when you kill yourself you won't take anyone else with you.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I think the silverwing is a very capable comfy all rounder, I never had any problems with handling, I got 50-55mpg, easily, fast enough ,well built, a ten year old model without any mods, but does it really need any. The only thing I found against it , is its heavy, but thats just my opinion, as I have a bit of a graple to get in and out of my garage.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.