Reliable year round scoot

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Re: Reliable year round scoot

Post by Dave Weller »

I don't spend money lightly, just brought a new Swing, it will be much cheaper to run than a 250, looking on ebay the parts for small capacity Honda's are cheap and plentiful. It is built in Italy but seems good quality, second hand ones sell well and mileage does not seem an issue.
I cannot fault it in any way, it will run at 60mph up and down the motorways and should return over 100mpg,
I'm nearly at the point of deciding to sell my 650Burgman because the Swing does all I want from a maxi-scoot.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

bioshock!

Post by bioshock! »

i could recomend the xmax, i use mine to travel to work and its a hoot!, i love the way it pulls away from the lights ;) the suspension is a bit hard tho. I bought mine for £2000 on a 2007 model back in 2010.

macp
Current Ride: Gilera ST200

Post by macp »

andyscooter wrote:think you may struggle to find any of them for 2 grand

unless they are tatty and have a million miles on the clock
I selected all of these because I found them on bike trader looking in decent condition with not unreasonable miles.

macp

Post by macp »

Thanks all guys

Just been watching a video on youtube with a guy commuting on a Honda PS125 and it was really impressive to watch. There was not much keeping up with him either including larger capacity bikes.

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

Am on my 2nd sh125 scoot.did have a sh300i but some xxxxxx bxxxxxd nicked it,i would say get a Honda sh125,i got my 2nd from ebay,went to see it agreed a price 2 1/2 years later with 11700 miles up[1st has done 408000 miles now sorned] but i dont like smalled wheeled scoots.
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

iv'e had the 250 xmax .wasn't over impressed.an yes yamaha are blooming expencive on parts...the swing is awesome for a 125.i did a lot of miles on mine,very comfy.and as for sym i had the gts250 few years ago,and iv'e just bought the 300 newer version.fingers crossed 14th being to pick up date....so yes i would say sym are good :D value for money.
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

I'm biased but I prefer my SH300i over my Burgman for commuting. Good power, good weather protection (with a Givi screen), large wheels, easy maneoverability and ABS. Downside is the lack of underseat storage but they all come with a topbox anyway. Feels much narrower than the Burger so easier to filter with and of course there's the Honda reliability too. If fuel economy was an issue I'd go for a SH 125 - less power obviously but with all the above benefits.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

EastAnglian
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 S-Wing 125

Post by EastAnglian »

I'm biased quite a lot, but I recommend the S-Wing, my reasoning is that my friend with an PCX125 (which I also had) had a go on it and likened the S-Wing to riding an armchair and I agree! The S-Wing top model comes with a nice roomy colour matched top box and ABS. The screen seems right for me and I'm 5ft 8, but is slightly tall for me from the ground as I have short legs! It wont pull away from the lights like an SH125/300, but will be almost as good due to its heavier weight but I do believe the engine somehow is slightly more powerful than the SH125's. MPG wise I get 90 to 100 out of it but I do ride up to 70mph (indicated) on it at times when I'm late for work. Being really nice to the throttle will get you >100MPG. I can filter ok on the machine, about the same as most larger bikes, but my smaller PCX was better as it was narrower (Which will probably be the same on the SH125).

Hope that helps a bit!
Travelling at several WTF's a minute

macp

Post by macp »

Thanks all really useful feedback and points of view. To be honest size wont be a problem as most of my commute is NSL B road with a little bit of town work. Im not thinking of one of the following

Xmax,Xcity,Majesty or the Honda SH

I have discounted the S wing as I think I will struggle to get one on my budget.

BenR
Current Ride: Aprilia Atlantic sprint 500

Post by BenR »

macp wrote:Thanks all really useful feedback and points of view. To be honest size wont be a problem as most of my commute is NSL B road with a little bit of town work. Im not thinking of one of the following

Xmax,Xcity,Majesty or the Honda SH

I have discounted the S wing as I think I will struggle to get one on my budget.

Have you thought about an X9/X8 250? You'll get one of those well within your budget they're cracking bikes.