Possibly Returning Muppet

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Blubayou
Current Ride: Honda PCX

Possibly Returning Muppet

Post by Blubayou »

Evening all

Not had a scoot now for a couple of years, not looking for a Maxi this time, just a little 125 for the 3 miles each way to work.

Just been to look at a really nice SYM Jet, 2 years old, just 5000kms, fallen out of use, good condition because it's new rather than well looked after (it has been under a tarp whilst standing), the right price.

Purrs like a kitten, needs a battery, but it does have minor rust at the top of the forks. I say minor, but if I ride it home & hit full travel will it trash the fork seals?

Should I give it a quick brasso & oil polish or walk away? :?
Previously: Boation 50, SYM Joyride, Piaggio X8 250

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Possibly Returning Muppet

Post by MrGrumpy »

Most of my scoots seem to get rust at the top of the forks....I just pretend I can't see it!

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Given how cheap forks can be had on eBay, if the rest of it is fine there's no need to reject it.
Haggle the price down a bit though...

As an example, I got a pair of PCX forks complete for £70 including delivery and they were in tip-top nick.

You could probably get away with cleaning them up, possibly best to do that before riding it.

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

Blubayou wrote:Evening all

Not had a scoot now for a couple of years, not looking for a Maxi this time, just a little 125 for the 3 miles each way to work.

Just been to look at a really nice SYM Jet, 2 years old, just 5000kms, fallen out of use, good condition because it's new rather than well looked after (it has been under a tarp whilst standing), the right price.

Purrs like a kitten, needs a battery, but it does have minor rust at the top of the forks. I say minor, but if I ride it home & hit full travel will it trash the fork seals?

Should I give it a quick brasso & oil polish or walk away? :?
My SYM GTS has had minor rust on the top of the forks for years without problems.
Is it a Jet 4 your getting? There's loads of variations of the SYM Jet here.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

depends how far the rust travels down as your max fork travel will be no where near the top of forks... put scoot on main stand and with front brake on pull or push down and see how far the travel is.... then you will know :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Deeping
Benefactor
Current Ride: t-max + xv1100

Post by Deeping »

fasten a cable tie round the forks before you push it down then you will see the travel
Never instal version 1.0

Blubayou

Post by Blubayou »

Thanks guys, yeah if the sale goes through I'll give them a quick clean up before riding. If the seals get damaged I have until next August to find replacements & get an MOT!

And yes it is a Jet 4 125, styling is a bit modern to appeal to the younger buyer like myself (50).

Blubayou

Post by Blubayou »

Hi Guys,

£700 and I have it!

Forks polished up ok, few minor tweaks & it runs like new all the way up to about 60, plenty fast enough with no screen!

HPI check revealed no gremlins, just need to get Tax & I'm back :D

Photo to follow!