New Helmet

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
spaceprobe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i ABS

Re: New Helmet

Post by spaceprobe »

I must say I have not found the drop down sun visor on my new Shark Vision too bad (first time I have had one). I find breath guards to make things worse (I wear glasses) so have removed mine .
Maximum respect

jamie
Benefactor
Current Ride: sport city 300 .. gtr 1400

Post by jamie »

sun visor on my airoh mattisse works a treat

anonstarter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Pending

Post by anonstarter »

Meldrew wrote:I wouldn't bother mate, helmet manufacturers produce helmets to suit different head shapes like square round or oval. Most stick to one basic head shape so what suits your head shape wouldn't necessarily suit everyone. There's also a lot of other factors like helmet wind noise and the effectiveness of your screen, most OE screens are rubbish and a lot of noise depends if you wear or don't wear correctly fitted ear plugs. You can expect visor misting at this type of year and expect to have to fiddle with vents and visor openings. A lot of helmets also have leaky rain seals round the visor, or visor mechanisms that are flimsy or make visors difficult to change. I've found all drop down sun visors to be pretty rubbish in direct sunlight too. Like others have said, I wouldn't buy any helmet based on the SHARP ratings.
Some great points there, but I wouldn't bother saying "I wouldn't bother".
I'm interested in your review Mister Miseryguts.
My Nitro F341-VN Flip Up Helmet has a brilliant Drop down visor and when flipped open it has a perfect Sun shade. You can argue that IF I came off with it open... but it wouldn't be because I've been blinded by the Low winter Sun.
It's easy to put on and take off and it's non claustrophobic. It's comfortable. The vents are more than adequate. The wind noise varies on Visor position ;) and you can generally get served at petrol stations! It's also great Value For Money!
If you want to be incrementally better: Be competitive. If you want to be exponentially better: Be cooperative.

jamie
Benefactor

Post by jamie »

Meldrew wrote:
jamie wrote:sun visor on my airoh mattisse works a treat
So you can ride directly into the glare of summer sun or low winter sun without being dazzled ? I think that's very unlikely.

I bow to your superior knowledge of knowing fuck all about how I can ride with it up or down I must remember next time im riding back into the bay into the low glaring sun that I shouldn't be able to do this :roll:

jamie
Benefactor

Post by jamie »

:roll:

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

If only they did a polarized internal visor :D
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Post by SkuTorr »

On my old HJC Symax 2 with a drop-down visor, I took OUT the inner visor, covered about the top 1/3 with black electrical tape, and put it back in. PERFECT! Could ride directly into the setting sun and no glare...

Since my SHOEI Qwest doesn't have an internal visor, I carry a roll of electrical tape with me. if I'm going to be riding into the sun, I cover the top half of my sunglasses with it. PERFECT!
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Meldrew wrote: You can also buy a specially shaped strip of visor called the SunAx that fit's between the lining and outer shell of your helmet. I had one fitted to an Arai SZ open face which has a slightly different design to allow for the brow vents.

For the past few years I've swapped a Super-Visor peak between my Schuberth and Scorpion helmets and it works perfectly. They are marketed by someone in Sedona AZ, I was in Sedona for a few days earlier this year and expected to see at least a few riders with then fitted to their helmets. Instead I saw lots of fat blokes on Harley's wearing bandanas and wrap round shades! :)

For me the Super-Visor works brilliantly, it remains solidly mounted on the outer visor and because I used 3M Dual Lock strips instead of the permanent adhesive supplied by Super-Visor I can swap it between helmets, or mount it on a new helmet. So this cheap plastic peak totally blocks out sun glare and diverts a lot of rain drops away from the part of the visor I look through.
For me the Sun-Ax works brilliantly on my Arai helmets....couldn't ride without it.

I did try the Super-visor, but its been only partially successful. It came with some sticky fixer type stuff, but it fell off after a few weeks. I tried Dual Lock strips but they didn't work (space is very confined on a Arai visor with brow vents), so in desperation, I used old fashioned adhesive onto an old visor (I have lots of Arai visors!). It worked pretty well as long as the Sun isn't too low in the sky - for me, it seems very difficult to mount the visor low enough. When the Sun gets really low, I get some odd reflections off the Super-visor, and I found that I was getting more shielding from the sun from the Sun-Ax strip than the super-visor.

melpotter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Sym JoyMax GTS 300i

Post by melpotter »

Funkycowie wrote:If only they did a polarized internal visor :D
Raleri make a photochromic visor insert. http://www.raleri.com/new/prodottiPCShadeuk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

melpotter wrote:
Funkycowie wrote:If only they did a polarized internal visor :D
Raleri make a photochromic visor insert. http://www.raleri.com/new/prodottiPCShadeuk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fog City have made something similar for years, and I have photochromic pinlock inserts for my Arai helmets. The latter are very good, but appallingly expensive.