Licence Types

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
dogfood09

Licence Types

Post by dogfood09 »

Hey Guys ,

I've just recently passed my CBT and got myself a Honda S-Wing 125 , I totally love this bike , having so much fun on it , i am now looking to get a 600cc Silverwing in the Summer , what do i need to do to get this bike? , My Current Licence is A1

Regards
Steve

gn2

Re: Licence Types

Post by gn2 »

How old are you?

According to this, you'll need to be over 24... https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-mope ... quirements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

You will need a full licence (albeit for Autos). An A2 licence will not be sufficient as the 'wing makes 50bhp which is a couple over the 47 or 48bhp limit for A2.
If you are desperate for a 'wing it might be possible to have some sort of restriction put on - they used to be quite common when 33bhp was a licence limit, but whether there are 48 bhp restrictors I don't know.
Or buy a Tmax which is A2 licence compliant!!

dogfood09

Post by dogfood09 »

Thanks for the replies ,
I am 40 , Was hoping i didn't need to have a full licence.. will have a look into the TMax , As getting it restricted seems to be too much grief.

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

on a cbt you cant ride anything bigger then a 125cc and with l plates

you havnt relly passed anything just shown an instructor you can ride to a standered

to get the full licence you need you need to take the theory and practical tests

dont forget after two years the cbt expires
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

DougL
Global Moderator
Current Ride: R1200GS

Post by DougL »

The tests are the same for all the categories. Mopeds, A1 (125), A2 and A. The only difference is the size of machine (and 19mph . If you want to ride a big scooter you might as well do DAS like I have just done. Beware it costs lots. All of them will cost you lots. (min £700).

ridinhigh
Current Ride: GTS 300

Post by ridinhigh »

Its almost as if the GOVT, do not want anyone to ride motorbikes ,
each year it gets more and more expensive to get a licence

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

Go for a full bike licence then you can ride whatever you want.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

melpotter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Sym JoyMax GTS 300i

Post by melpotter »

DougL wrote:The tests are the same for all the categories. Mopeds, A1 (125), A2 and A. The only difference is the size of machine (and 19mph . If you want to ride a big scooter you might as well do DAS like I have just done. Beware it costs lots. All of them will cost you lots. (min £700).

I got my licence for relatively little. Paid for CBT, bought a 125, rode it for about a year. Paid for a test pass computer program, passed the theory first go. Gave program to another learner. Watched the YouTube videos and practised the off road maneuvers on a local carpark. Took three goes to pass at £15 a go (put a foot down on the figure of eight and then on the U turn) but the hardest part was getting enough speed up on a 125 for the brake test. Rode for another few months while waiting for my on road test. Passed first time. :D
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

DougL
Global Moderator
Current Ride: R1200GS

Post by DougL »

Yes I know you used to be able to pass a test on a 125cc then ride up to the restriction for two years, then ride anything once that ended. Unfortunately licensing doesn't work like that any more (since Jan 13) and you have to sit the test on a bike from the category you want to ride. Which means hiring of the bike and the instructor.