What's the worst Scoot/motorbike you've ever had?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Luckydave
Current Ride: Burgman 650 and others

Re: What's the worst Scoot/motorbike you've ever had?

Post by Luckydave »

A CZ175 bought new in 1977,I knew it would breakdown every time I went out on it lol.

BenR
Current Ride: Aprilia Atlantic sprint 500

Post by BenR »

Oddly enough I've been pretty lucky with bikes the worst being a suzuki TS50ER I had back in the early nineties "when I were a lad". It was only bad because it was so old already. But I have to say it's been trumped by the aprilia sportcity I have now so much so I've already started referring to it as the sportshitty!

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Really poor choice by myself - ccm 660 dualsport

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Whatsisname wrote:Maybe it was DKW...
No deffo DMW (Dawson's Motors Wolverhampton) was possibly a Dolomite ?

Have wheels, will travel :D

EssexGazza
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by EssexGazza »

Tough one - only ever had 3: Honda Vision 110, Piaggio Beverly 350, and now a Vespa 300 GTS. Loved all 3 !

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Probably the one with most 'character' was my Arial Arrow, with the YDS3 coming in a close second
Have wheels, will travel :D

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Hmm difficult one this.. I had problems with an old Excelsior 150 back in the day, kept on "whiskering" the plug for some reason.
With the hindsight of years reckon it was a crankshaft oilseal which had gone. On damp days I had to bump start my A10, sometimes for miles (really needed a new/recon mag) :? Had a Honda 90 sport which needed the battery charged every night so it would start in the morning (reg/rec probably) :roll:
Another was a T250 "Hustler" which seized up on me on the East Lancs road at 90 mph while I was in the middle of an overtake.. :o
But probably the most expensive was my GPX600R which threw all its shell bearings after I slipped and dropped it on it's side with the motor running, needed a total rebuild. But none of them were bad bikes. Indifferent maintenance and lack of nous were probably the cause of most of my woes, except for the Kwak. :roll:

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

I seem to be quite lucky with bikes, that may be down to having bought very few and then going for reliability over style. The X10 was style and features over image, but the only problem I had was a manageable faulty relay that I spent some time wrongly attributing to 'character' than a relay that stuck 'on' unless tapped.

Harley's always frightened me with the reputation of dropping oil, being heavy and trading on machismo reputation. 1200GS BMWs always put me off by the huge expense, size and total lack of features - like storage. I was happy they didn't have a chain but then read up about the issue of keeping the crown/pinion wheel happy which put me off even more.

As for power, I've had some _very_ fast cars and fast bikes so I've been there, done that, and today roads are bristling with speed cameras and twats in mobile their road blocks.

Bikers also seem to inhabit a different world of constant buying of expensive tyres, fixing stators etc, riding some very small mileages while literally throwing money at fuel, consumables and replacement parts. Yesterday I had to do about 2.5 hours of travelling with an overnight bag and a few extras - so I took the SYM 300, had a nice ride and spent about £6 on fuel during that time in comfort and speed, and then had to park in a small space at each end which was easy because it had no panniers and it light to push around and small enough to fit through garden gates etc.

I did have one dud though, a CG125 that I couldn't stop the white smoke billowing out of - still no idea why it did that. I got it as a fixer upper and eventually sold it on. Easy to work on mind, even if it did never work.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Used (5 years old) Yamaha XS500 bought in 1982. Had lots of extras ( crash bars, spotlights and full luggage) and seemed just what I wanted. Constant electrical problems and the exhausts went three months after I bought it. In retrospect I should have looked more closely at the condition of the bike (not good even for a five year old bike) but as I say it seemed at the time to be just what I wanted. A fully-equipped tourer.

I gather that the XS500 was far from the best bike Yamaha made. One of the rare lemons every manufacturer comes out with from time to time.

rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Post by rjc1944 »

First place in the "I shouldn't have bought that" stakes goes to a BMW K75RT. Closely followed in second place by a Honda CX500. In both cases it was the weight and handling that put me off them - very heavy in absolute terms and top heavy just to make matters worse. I like my bikes to be comfy and fun to ride and these were neither. Both of them were really good-looking examples but both were sold on very rapidly.
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.