Riding a geared 125 on an auto A2 licence

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Riding a geared 125 on an auto A2 licence

Post by Ginger Phil »

When I did my A2 test on an auto back in 2007 it meant after the 2 year restriction I could ride any size auto, it also meant that I could ride a geared 125 with L plates - it acted like a permanent CBT. The law seems to have changed for people who pass the A2 test now so if you pass on an auto you can only ride an auto.

I'm trying to find info from when I did the test to prove to a mate that I can ride a geared 125 even though I passed on an auto but I can't find any. All the websites are giving me the new rules not the old ones. Can anyone help? :kiss:

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Re: Riding a geared 125 on an auto A2 licence

Post by Ginger Phil »

Managed to find something posted back in 2009 on a motorbike forum which someone had copied & pasted from some government site:

I took my full licence test on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?
A full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only act as a provisional licence for manual bikes, so you will be limited to 125cc with L plates, until you pass a Practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I don't think your interperation is correct that you can only ride an auto now. The Highway Code says:
If you pass your test on a motorcycle with automatic or semi-automatic transmission you’ll only get a full licence for those types of motorcycle.

That seems quite clearly to me to say that your existing CBT stands if you want to ride a geared bike. I think it does also mean that you will need to renew the CBT however often it had to be done if you want to continue with geared bikes though.

Probably best to ask DVLA though: https://www.gov.uk/contact-dvsa
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

No, I did loads of research on it 7 or 8 years ago and the A2 Auto licence acts like a permanent CBT but I agree the wording doesn't make it too clear.

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

does it indicate on the back of you plastic licence :)
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

It says code 78 which means: restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission.

But the codes are more of an abbreviation of the licence.

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Check your licence online and it should spell out exactly what you are entitled to drive/ride. I think you can drive/ride what was valid at the time you passed and not whatever the rules are now.

Here you go: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

This is mine

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

Yeah my one says the same but as you passed before January 2013 you can ride a manual 125 with L plates. The back of the licence and that site don't really give much info, for example it says I can drive a minibus but it doesn't go into detail like the small fact I can't drive a minibus if the passengers are charged a fair.

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

Never ridden a manual so I wouldn't know where to start lol