Riding a geared 125 on an auto A2 licence

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
EssexGazza
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Re: Riding a geared 125 on an auto A2 licence

Post by EssexGazza »

It's a really interesting question as I was considering doing just this having passed an auto test before Jan 13 myself.

From memory, when I did my original CBT it made no difference whether I did it on a geared bike or an automatic (I might be wrong, but that seemed to be the case - my CBT certificate didn't differentiate between automatic and manual so to have to go back and do a CBT now wouldn't make logical sense, unless the CBT rules changed post January 2013 changed of course).

I have dropped the DVLA an e-mail to check and I'll let you all know when I hear back. Watch this space !

Gazza

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

It was discussed on here a lot a few years back as the rules were quite clear; if you passed the A2 on an auto you could ride any size auto (after the 2 year restriction) plus any manual bike up to 125cc with L plates but since the rules changed in 2013 finding that info is difficult as most Google searches go straight to training centres. Luckily I found the info on an old forum, where would we be without forums? :) This used to be on the Gov site:

I took my full licence test on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?
A full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only act as a provisional licence for manual bikes, so you will be limited to 125cc with L plates, until you pass a Practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

So Phil where's your L plates :D :D
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

They're on there. :P

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Surely ANY licence issued to someone over the age of 17 (who has not obviously passed a full test) acts as a provisional motorcycle licence for 125's (as well as cars), doesn't it? I think it also acts as a provisional for HGV's if you are over 21 too.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

but you need cbt to validate it

a full licence used to also be a valid permanent cbt
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Ah, I see now. I would imagine that someone with a full licence would be exempt from the CBT but when did common sense have anything to do with it? :lol:

Honda SH300i

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

Yes basically before January 2013 if you passed the A2 test on an auto like I and 5 or 6 others did on here it acts like a permanent CBT for manual 125's so you have to display L plates, can't carry a pillion and can't ride on motorways.

The A2 test like I did doesn't really exist anymore as to get a full licence you have to do the test on a 600 or something like that.

visfix
Benefactor
Current Ride: 06 Aprilia Atlantic Sprint 500

Post by visfix »

I didn't actually realise they had changed the rules, tbh. So what if you wanted to ride something like a VFR1200 dual clutch jobbie? It's an auto, so surely, even if you have an auto only licence, like Phil, you can still ride it?
Non Timetis Messor!

RIP Pepsi

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

I had a 125 Honda Pantheon when I took my test on a geared 125. I just did it to save having to take the CBT every two years, ditch the L plates, carry pillions occasionally and get cheaper insurance. I had no intention of changing bikes. Of course, after a while I bought a SH300i (which I still have), then I treated myself to a brand new Burg 650 and did a few European trips and then px'd that for my current fairweather toy, the FJR1300. Bloody addictive this motorcycling lark! :mrgreen:

Honda SH300i