Tinkering again.....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
eric1789uk
Current Ride: an 400 L1

Tinkering again.....

Post by eric1789uk »

Following the service that I paid for I've been covering my own maintenance to check what my scoot is really like, today was a belt check and final oil drive change.
Service manual in hand and all relevant video's of mcburger usa watched a few times I took myself into the garage. Firstly the alloy drive case was a buggar to remove, my plastic hammer worked overtime and I had to put bolts into the two holes at the clutch end and also in the air filter threads at the front of the casting. Taps, delicate turns with spanners and gt85 eventually released it. Phew.....
Inside all looked relatively clean, not much debris from clutch or belt and I was quite happy. Vernier a out and the belt measures 26.1mm, good for loadsa miles yet. Drive oil drained off, mucky dark colour and new oil inserted. Job done, well that what I thought. It just wouldn't go back together, Icouldnt get the alloy cover back on.. Checking the manual revealed the clutch drive bearing that is supposed to be in the cover was securely fitted onto the end of the shaft on the clutch housing. That's why getting the cover off was so hard, it had even bent the 2 metal securing tabs as I took it off. Had to use brute force but got the bearing off the shaft but buggered it doing so, quick trip to local bearing supplier and£16 quid lighter back home. Fitted the bearing in the housing, bent the tab back and with a bit of grease put it all back. Hopefully it's alright now. But an easy bit o maintenance was a 6 hour job. After 3 dealer services I am now definite that the cover has never been removed before. D.I.Y. if you can
My other bikes have pedals
I've been ugly bunched