Rear tyre slipping

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
furstyferret81
Current Ride: s wing

Rear tyre slipping

Post by furstyferret81 »

I've been using the Joymax in the wet lately and had the rear end slip out a few times, I've not been pushing it and have done the same bends in pouring rain much faster on the old S-wing with no problem!

I'm wondering if it's the tyres (Avon Viper Strike), the bike being much heavier than what I'm used to or if I have just been unlucky with oil on the road?

Tyre looks in good condition inflated to 32, might over inflate it as it feels more 'wobbly' when I was pulling the tyre to see if there was any movement in the wheel.

furstyferret81

Re: Rear tyre slipping

Post by furstyferret81 »

Video of it slipping...

pikey

Post by pikey »

I had same with vyperstryke years ago came off broke wife's arm in france not used them since .We're fine in dry.Our off was on a French traffic island

furstyferret81

Post by furstyferret81 »

Shame because its got loads of tread and the dealer put a new one on the front when i got it, might see how much for a pair of City Grips then...

pikey

Post by pikey »

I brought 2 rears first one delaminated tread came up like petals on a flower second one we came off .We were loaded up which didn't help but day before in dry sunny weather had been fine.I brought a scooter with one on rear was just very causious with it in the wet .I still used it till it needed replacing tho .

irev
Current Ride: AN400

Post by irev »

With tyres confidence is everything. If you have no confidence in it, change it.
No door is closed to an open mind.
Except a closed door, which a mind can't open, but even a stupid hand can.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

irev is right, I had those avons on my old B125 and riding on them in wet started to wear away my confidence as the feed back from them was too vague.

Much like riding on my 6-7 year old bridgestones that I had on my TMax (the tyres had only done 900 miles in that time) when I first got it and changed recently, fine in the summer but in the wet they were feeling dodgy, vague and had worn badly through the summer due to age. New Bridgestone SC's put on in November and I am leaning over in the wet with confidence again.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

You've answered your question yourself. Avon Viper Strike. Unless they've improved dramatically over recent years, Avon scooter tyres are appalling. (Bike tyres, made in UK, are fine, I believe). Many people have reported difficulties with them, especially in the wet. I had a pair of the radial versions on the mk2 Tmax and they were so badly made they were dangerous.
So, its not you, its them! Throw 'em away and get something better from Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop etc.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Looking at the video frame by frame, the wiggle happens as you cross a change of road surface.
The giveaway is the faded section of double yellow lines exactly level with what looks like a stain across the road.
It wiggles as you pass onto the older more worn surface.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

gn2 wrote:Looking at the video frame by frame, the wiggle happens as you cross a change of road surface.
The giveaway is the faded section of double yellow lines exactly level with what looks like a stain across the road.
It wiggles as you pass onto the older more worn surface.
Sure looks horrible though!