UK models - noticed a couple of things

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
pikey

Re: UK models - noticed a couple of things

Post by pikey »

Everything thing after Jan 17 has to be abs

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

pikey wrote:Everything thing after Jan 17 has to be abs
I'd hang on until then but does the rule apply to all bikes over 125 or just those new to the market after that date?

(I think I'll try and look that one up)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Aha! https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... an-for-you

So yes, looks like I'm hanging on until January. Although anyone not bothered by ABS might get some awesome bargains come November.

BTW, EU4 means lower emissions but also that the engine must still meet them after 26,000 km. So, more durable and reliable too, perhaps?
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

pikey

Post by pikey »

It was officially set at Jan 16 but they have till Jan 17 to comply and shift old stock .

Cookie
Benefactor
Current Ride: SilverWing - PCX - C90

Post by Cookie »

StephenC wrote: BTW, EU4 means lower emissions but also that the engine must still meet them after 26,000 km. So, more durable and reliable too, perhaps?
That's interesting Stephen - I hadn't seen that bit.
I'm not sure it's aimed at durability though since 26,000 Km (16,000 miles) is such a low figure. I suspect it may be aimed more at preventing bikes being produced that are easy to modify.
At the moment it's fairly easy to remap engines or change exhausts etc. The manufacturers may now have to take steps to make that more difficult.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Cookie wrote: At the moment it's fairly easy to remap engines or change exhausts etc. The manufacturers may now have to take steps to make that more difficult.
I recall reading recently (and I believe it was somebody from Triumph) that it means restrictor kits won't be available now on larger engines due to this.

Basically the engine build will be aimed at its bhp class its intended for.

Wait to euro 5 which I believe is 2020 (and the reason IMO a lot of effort is going into 'leccy bikes)

mac65
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by mac65 »

Kymco are bringing the X-Town 300 to the UK In the autumn. Got that info from Kymco UK.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
enjoy eXtra to the Max

melpotter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Sym JoyMax GTS 300i

Post by melpotter »

MrGrumpy wrote:
StephenC wrote:Wandering the manufacturer websites for mid-range models, these details caught my eye:

How odd! Probably one of their best scoots! Perhaps everyone is buying the Kawasaki version instead.
Was talking to a guy the other day about his Kawasaki 125 maxi and he said to me 'Oh it's only until I pass my test' seemingly embarrassed by his ride. 'How do you find it' I said. 'Oh it's O.K.' he said 'it's just a 125', seemingly even more embarrassed. 'Yes I can see that' I said 'it's written on the side'. 'You can get them all the way up to 1,000 cc' he said. I left him to it at that point! :lol:
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Scootypuff snr wrote: Wait to euro 5 which I believe is 2020 (and the reason IMO a lot of effort is going into 'leccy bikes)
This is not a dig at you Scooty P and I may be missing something here but, if the UK is coming out of the EU then surely these euro 4 & 5 directives don't apply to us anymore? Unless they are viewed as common sense goals to achieve EU or no EU?

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Companys are not going to make a euro compliant scoot and a different one for the UK...
Trouble enough to get a MPH speedo!
Now theres a thing - what would happen if the manufacturers made Euro compliant scoots, but with only kph speedos?
would they be OK in UK? - dont think you are allowed the liitle speedo stickers any more that were used during the 400 sportsbike grey import boom of the 80's / 90's...