New front tyre

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
caecilius
Current Ride: Burgman 400

New front tyre

Post by caecilius »

I'm down to 1.4 mm and I think it's time to change. I'm surprised that 1mm is legal on bikes.

I've opted to swap the Michelin Citygrip that comes as standard on the Beverly 350 for a Heidenau K66. One local garage could not source it in the 110/70, so they cleimed, and recommended a Conto-Twist of a Pirelli Diablo, suggesting they were far superior. But that's not what this survey claims:

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/te ... arch-test/

I'm booked in for next week and I hope I've made a decent choice. I'm looking for more front wheel grip in the wet and the Heidenau seems to offer that.

Any thoughts or experience with these tyres?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: New front tyre

Post by MrGrumpy »

No, but let me know how the Heidenau feels!! I've currently got a Dunlop Scootsmart on the front which I think is a good tyre, although differs in feel from the CItygrip. I also had Maxxis for a while - the front was fine, but the rear had a terribly short life. The Maxxis felt very similar to the CItygrips, whilst the Dunlop feels stiffer. I'm very biased against Pirelli...never had a tyre of theirs I like or which lasted!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Never heard of Heidenau. I've been running Dunlop GPR100s on my TMax and had no problems with them, mileage is good (now 9K and they're down to about 2.8mm. Had a little slide from the rear the other day but I was braking quite hard on a white line, so no reflection on the tyre. I was going to try Maxxis but decided to stick with Dunlop. My nearest fitter says he'll put Scootsmarts on them for about £180 plus £15 each wheel fitting (loose wheels) but for that I could buy the GPR100s and fit them myself, check out my speedo sensor, and still have a few quid left over for biscuits. :) Decisions, decisions..

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

My mate put Heidenau's on his X9 500 & rates them way more than the City Grips they replaced
Have wheels, will travel :D

caecilius

Post by caecilius »

I was alerted to Heidenaus by positive reports from the members of the German Beverly forum. Some guys who commute to work throughout the winter in condition probably a bit worse than ours speak very highly of them.
I'll report back when I get mine fitted next week.

scootabout
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350

Post by scootabout »

Any update on the Heidenaus? I'm looking for a new rear tyre for the Beverly 350. As the front doesn't need changing yet, I'll be mixing brands...

caecilius

Post by caecilius »

I've since swapped the Beverly for a Burgman - but the Heidenau on the front was excellent. It had a lot more visible tread pattern and I think that gave me more confidence. I kept the standard Michelin on the back . The Burgman has Dunlop Scootsmarts. They seem perfectly adequate, but I'm not a rider who pushes the bike to its limits, by any means.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Heidenau emerged as a tyre company from the remnants of the old East German tyre company, Pneumant. Pneumant were the supplier of the stock tyres on MZs through the 70s and 80s until the fall of the Berlin wall.

They were hated by many MZ riders but loved by those who persevered in getting used to their quirks. The bonus was that we could pick them up cheap or free when MZ dealers swapped them for Michelins on new MZs for fussy owners.

Personally I love Heidenau tyres. I have had them on an MZ ETZ post unification, a Vespa, and now my Cub (C90). I would have them on my W800 too if they were available in the right sizes.

8-)