Tyres

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Tyres

Post by Symcity »

My sh300i came with metzeler feelfree boots from the factory - I now have the choice of more of the same or Michelin citygrips - which would you choose for the forthcoming season ?

Cookie
Benefactor
Current Ride: SilverWing - PCX - C90

Re: Tyres

Post by Cookie »

Hi Simcity. I'm not familiar with the Feelfree tyres so I can't make a direct comparison with the Michelins.

The Michelin Citygrips do seem to be a bit of a 'marmite' tyre - some people swear by them whilst others don't seem to like them at all.

I like them, they seem to offer good grip in the wet or dry and certainly seem to last longer than other tyres that I've used (IRC and Bridgestone). Also the rear one doesn't seem to square off when part worn like a lot of tyres do.
A few people have reported that the Citygrips lack a bit of 'feel' when riding. That's not something that bothers me and I can't honestly say that I've noticed it that much but I don't tend to ride in too 'spirited' a manner.

I suppose that whether you like them or not depends on you priorities. Tyres do seem to be a very subjective matter.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes, as Cookie said - can't tell you about Metzelers, but I have heard good things about them.
I'm in the anti camp with the Citygrips - great in the dry, but I can't feel the grip in the wet. They do grip, I think, but can't be sure!
I presume another option would be Dunlop Scootsmarts - I have one of those on the front of the Bev, and feel I've got more grip at the front than with the Citygrip at the rear!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

What sort of mileage do you get out of the Citygrips?
I'm also at the tyre decision time.. :?
The Dunlop GPR100's I've had on my TMax since I got it have now got over 9500 miles with still 2 mm left. They've never slipped slided, skidded or otherwise misperformed despite my sometimes "spirited" riding in the wet or dry.
I think I'm going to get another set, despite their premium price.
Let's face it all that choice is confusing.. :)

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Have you thought about Citygrip Winter ? won't last as long as the normal citygrips but they do stick to the road well
Have wheels, will travel :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:What sort of mileage do you get out of the Citygrips?
I'm also at the tyre decision time.. :?
The Dunlop GPR100's I've had on my TMax since I got it have now got over 9500 miles with still 2 mm left. They've never slipped slided, skidded or otherwise misperformed despite my sometimes "spirited" riding in the wet or dry.
I think I'm going to get another set, despite their premium price.
Let's face it all that choice is confusing.. :)
Hang on - the Citygrips are crossplies, whilst your Tmax mk3 takes radials. If you want Michelins for the mk3+ Tmax you'll have to fork out for Pilot Road 4s, which are very good IMHO. My Mk3 had Dunlops originally, possibly the GPR100s, didn't like them in the wet - no feel. I did buy some other sort of Dunlop towards the end, which were fantastic in the wet and damp, but had an odd feel in the dry. No point in asking me about tyre mileage as I always wear them out horrifically quickly!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Didn't even think they still made crossplies! Doh! :lol:

Dac
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Dac »

Symcity wrote:My sh300i came with metzeler feelfree boots from the factory - I now have the choice of more of the same or Michelin citygrips - which would you choose for the forthcoming season ?
Had both and I would advise against CityGrip. I had FeelFree on X8 400 and they performed great, but didn't last long. Rear tyre god flat, bold and squared bit to soon, so I bought a set of CityGrips which had raving reviews at the time. I couldn't stand how scooter behaved with them! Soft, squishy, vague in corners, and I could always feel those grooves in tyres on handle bar. So after 2000 km or so bought (again) a new set tyres, this time it was Dunlop ScootSmart. It was like a new scoot, reborn. Great.

BenR
Current Ride: Aprilia Atlantic sprint 500

Post by BenR »

I'm firmly in the city grip camp imho there is no better scooter tyre & they give plenty of feedback in all conditions & are far superior to the bridgestones I had on my nexus. They are radials by the way (crossply just lol :lol: ). At the end of the day you pays your money you takes your choice there are lots of good tyres on the market just don't get avon vyper strykes they're just dangerous & far too much money for the shit you recieve.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

BenR wrote:I'm firmly in the city grip camp imho there is no better scooter tyre & they give plenty of feedback in all conditions & are far superior to the bridgestones I had on my nexus. They are radials by the way (crossply just lol :lol: ). At the end of the day you pays your money you takes your choice there are lots of good tyres on the market just don't get avon vyper strykes they're just dangerous & far too much money for the shit you recieve.
Well, at least we can agree on the Avons!!!!!