Admin or Doc fees????????

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
marval
Current Ride: Aprilia sr gt

Admin or Doc fees????????

Post by marval »

Is it just me? but this rising practice of dealers charging add on fees for documentation or administration is no more than a cynical ploy to get customers to contribute to their operating costs. I was in the motor trade for 30+ years and treated costs for HPI, Finance applications, V5 administration etc as all part of the job. For a example a mainly midlands based multi outlet predominantly Yamaha dealer, ( MCN award winning!) actually advertises "prices plus £99 admin fee. They ran an advert in MCN a couple of weeks ago, boasting that they had sold 5000 bikes. Times that by £99.00, mind blowing. I have no doubt that they have a well rehearsed blurb when questioned, but I can promise that they and dealers like them will never see a penny of my money. Especially when I am pleased to be seeing in some dealers adverts " we do not charge any additional fees". Shouldnt we be making a stand???
Has anyone challenged this?

Cookie
Benefactor
Current Ride: SilverWing - PCX - C90

Re: Admin or Doc fees????????

Post by Cookie »

No, it's not just you marval, I don't agree with it either.

When you buy a bike (or anything for that matter) you are effectively entering a contract with the seller. This incurs costs on both sides. You will have transport costs incurred by going and viewing the bike, possible phone calls etc and then possible public transport costs in order to go and pick the bike up.
These are all your costs and are borne (quite rightly) by you. You don't expect anyone else to cover them for you and so you shouldn't have to pay the costs incurred by the seller.

Obviously overhead costs for the business and wages are covered by the profit margin on the bikes and accessories (it is a business after all). Additional costs pertaining to individual sales are just all part and parcel of these overheads.

Perhaps we should start presenting them with a bill for our costs involved in completing the transaction.

I wonder if they could provide a detailed breakdown of the costs and, if so, how close it would be to the £99 figure. If you buy a new bike cash there wouldn't be any HPI or finance admin so would they come up with a lower figure - I somehow doubt it.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Nightingales in Rugby added on a whole lot of stuff when I bought my Joyride which was rather disappointing.

Later when I bought my SYM 300 from GLM (Greater London Motorcycles) near Enfield the (discounted) price on the ticket was the same price as it appearing on my drive a few days later.
The PDI from GLM was good too, bikes been totally dependable.

Guess which dealer I'll be favouring next time :D

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

It's nothing complicated really, it's just another way of making the price look less than it actually is.
Caveat emptor as they say.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Insurance companies have been doing it for years. Bennett's want £34 for change of document this week (so I kept the bike in question) so its just a case of monkey see monkey do and a dirty stealth tax.

Remember your not a customer anymore but a mobile cash cow. Social media (which I hate) is however your judge & jury in this modern age

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

No, cos I've never bought a bike (new or otherwise) from a dealer, and I never will.

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

its wrong they shouldn't be charging, its all part of flogging a new bike to a new customer.
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

anonstarter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Pending

Post by anonstarter »

AGreed! How long will it be before some 'The Apprentice' wannabe decides to list the Yamaha TMAX DX for £8,000 plus £2,699 Admin fee? :P
If you want to be incrementally better: Be competitive. If you want to be exponentially better: Be cooperative.

Bonniedogsdad
Current Ride: Honda Vision 2017

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

Re-opening this thread again, For Honda, HUNTS of Manchester, the price on label is what you pay, unless you negotiate a gravitational discount, on new bikes they will deliver free on the mainland, plus they have some real good deals on new bikes too!
I see a bike I like that Hunts have, look at one locally, (they can never compete with Hunts on price or manners or service it seems!) the talk to Hunts and order, nothings too much trouble.
Oh, AND NO ADDED EXTRA COSTS!!!

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I've not brought a new Honda for 5 years, and do you know what, it's a Honda they still look like new.
The last one I brought was a new Deauville and it now has 20000 miles on it, a great CBF600S (cheap as chips secondhand), has 30000 miles on it my favorite ride, and a Silverwing 20000 miles. All would have unnecessary been part-ex and a new Honda brought. I've jumped off the merry go round of visiting shops and getting the deal done, that has saved me time, administration fees pre-delivery inspection fees.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i