Silverwing Mini Dissaster, T.Max Probably Staying !!!! etc

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Silverwing Mini Dissaster, T.Max Probably Staying !!!! etc

Post by XP500FUN »

Well my poor old hip says its time to be back on the road and back on here. Though have done a few T`max ( 03 ) rides eariler this year than usual.

Then I saw a nice Silverwing advertised, and rather rashly, considering what transpired with the other half re our cash situation put £100 pounds on it.

But then only just found are how deep we are in helping our edlest sons family out. Thats Ok but its put the Silverwing a little out of reach, other than even more rash borrowing etc.

So basically I may end up stuck staying with the old T-max rather than getting the softer and better Silverwing on that bumping hip front.

I am interested though if there is anything I may miss T max wise if I went mad and got the Wing, or to at least placate me if it does.

I have to be honest I might miss the way the T max goes in to corners and maybe the seat as the old style one does support my hip taking weight on the legs too. But odd bumps etc with its suspsension are hard going up the rear wise too.

I also like the T-max power delivery, carb one, and only potter now really anyway.

I can tease 60 mpgs out of the max too, though it plummets two up or a little happy go nutty on the throttle when the mood takes you.

Anyway could do with a bit of advice and rambling on etc.

Might help me get a grip and get the wing or be sensible and be on less bread and cheese and go on enjoying the slightly flawed but nice T Max.

Thanks Mark.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Re: Silverwing Mini Dissaster, T.Max Probably Staying !!!! etc

Post by Globs »

I would have thought a Tmax was worth the same or more than a Silverwing.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi well they would`nt take a part ex ( bike shop ) so will need to sell mine.

Not keen on selling privately really.

Sold a bike in 2001 the buyer came back 3 weeks later asking for his money back as he could`nt get away with it.

Said it kept stalling at junctions ( VX800 ) so had left it at a bike shop 30 miles away from my house.

We`d already spent the money on the house so had to borrow it at 30% on a visa and take the cash to his house.

Then go to the bike shop to pick up the bike another day. They could`nt find anything wrong at all. I actually kept it for 8 years after that and only put on tyres and a set of pads and never missed a beat.

Hes left his helmet in the top box so had to go 20+ miles to drop that off at his house too.

I did`nt mind so much as a nice chap but put me off selling privately really.

If I had the cash would of prefered to try the wing and see if it suits me better than the yamaha, sure it would.

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

XP500FUN wrote: Not keen on selling privately really.

Sold a bike in 2001 the buyer came back 3 weeks later asking for his money back as he could`nt get away with it.

Said it kept stalling at junctions ( VX800 ) so had left it at a bike shop 30 miles away from my house.

We`d already spent the money on the house so had to borrow it at 30% on a visa and take the cash to his house.
I thought I was being over nice by not wanting to sell or PX my Bev with a serious problem! With private sales, everything is 'sold as seen' and the risk is entirely on the buyer, and the buyer has no come back at all. You should have told me politely to get stuffed!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Freudian slip there - should have told the buyer to get stuffed, not me! Although I guess most people are tempted to do the latter!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

XP500FUN wrote:
So basically I may end up stuck staying with the old T-max rather than getting the softer and better Silverwing on that bumping hip front.

I am interested though if there is anything I may miss T max wise if I went mad and got the Wing, or to at least placate me if it does.
You'd need to try the 'wing, but I'm not sure that you'd find it an improvement. Whatever else the Tmax has, its suspension is well sorted, whilst my impression of the 'wing was that you couldn't say that about the Silverwing when the roads were poor. Of course the Tmaxs vary across the different versions - the mk1 had slightly soft bouncy front forks, the mk3 was rather bouncy at the back, whilst the mk2's ride was slightly odd - some road surfaces really gave a square-wheeled ride, but it would glide over big bumps without you noticing them!

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi yes well the dealer dones`nt do test rides.

I maybe should of left it with that but the wing was so nice.

The weight might be an issue, been good to have ridden it.

I think I have probably lost the £100 sadly, so maybe will try to sell the T-max and then get one privately or a dealer where I can actually try it.

The suspension on the T max is OK for a scooter, less up the rear ouch`es, but two up its perfect for me.

One thing I do really like, although a little tippy toes on the Max as a 29 inside leg, is the riding possition is absolutely bang on for me at 5 10"

The Max has a couple of slight issues I`d mention if I sold it but nothing much for a 14 year old really.

The front tyre looses the odd lb of air in a week, and you sometimes need to twist the throttle a little at starting but runs 100%.

Love the thing really, its just hearing how nice silverwings are got me started !!!! bugger.

Best Mark.

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

I've owned 2 tmax's. MK1 and MK2. Fell in love with my MK1 went over Europe on it. MK2 was just a machine. I would have my old MK1 back in a heart beat.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Well that makes me feel a bit better after my daft loss etc.

I do love the T-max.

I actually bought a progressive spring for the MK1 rear shock, test version, but I had to pay, but don`t have much hope for it. Can`t really afford paying for the old shock to be taken off, the spring fitted, put back on and then maybe all needing to be reversed !!!

Anyone have any thoughts on power delivery between the wing and a MK1 T-Max possibly ?

Thanks Mark.

I have read you can`t, but I wonder if you can fit a MK3 shock to the MK1 as does sound a bit better.

My T max has around 24K on, I wonder what mileages they can run too. You do see the odd wing has failed in the 40`s, seems low, maybe as not looked after so much.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

XP500FUN wrote:
I have read you can`t, but I wonder if you can fit a MK3 shock to the MK1 as does sound a bit better.

My T max has around 24K on, I wonder what mileages they can run too. You do see the odd wing has failed in the 40`s, seems low, maybe as not looked after so much.
Not sure thats a good idea as I found the mk3 rear suspension very bouncy! Forks were better though. I eventually got Hyperpro fork inserts put into my mk1, which cured the bounciness, but made the rider rather firm. One step forward etc.....
Another issue between the Wing and Tmax is the riding position - the Tmax lets you stretch out, whilst the Wing doesn't. Of course, its entirely personal what position suits your hip best.