Add on wind deflectors - are they any good?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
melpotter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Sym JoyMax GTS 300i

Add on wind deflectors - are they any good?

Post by melpotter »

Just wondering if this sort of thing is any good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Universal ... 2444113414

I assume, looking at the parts it clamps to the top the existing windscreen.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Add on wind deflectors - are they any good?

Post by MrGrumpy »

In principle, yes - though whether a universal one will be as good as something that's specifically designed for a scoot (assuming that others really are specifically designed!) is unknowable.
I've had a Laminar Lip and an HPS screen with moveable blade at the top of the screen that have made major improvements to the quietness of Tmax screens, as does the addiiton of a Givi Airflow blade to the Bev screen. However, all these tend to cover the top few inches of the screen leaving a gap between them and the existing screen rather than extending at the top.
These things are always a gamble, but at £29 it may well be worth a punt - it looks as if it should do something!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

That seems cheap compared to MRS etc. Mr G have you tried the Laminar Lip on a Mk 3 TMax by any chance?

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

2wheelover51 wrote:That seems cheap compared to MRS etc. Mr G have you tried the Laminar Lip on a Mk 3 TMax by any chance?
Yes - I had the Lip on my mk3 - it was utterly brilliant. I found the standard screen utterly unbearably noisy and turbulent but the lip transformed it.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

MrGrumpy wrote: However, all these tend to cover the top few inches of the screen leaving a gap between them and the existing screen rather than extending at the top.
The gap does a significant job - rather than increase the height of the screen it increases the height of the effect of the screen.

If you look at the Givi it is curved so that air coming up the screen hits a narrowing channel between the screen and the blade doodad that accelerates it.

In aerodynamic speak - the blade energises the boundary layer and then projects it.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1