Cost of bikes

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
stevew
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 400i

Re: Cost of bikes

Post by stevew »

Just s quick reminder that WK and CF Moto are not synonymous.
The 650cc bikes are indeed CF Moto but i'm pretty sure the rest of their range was sourced from various different Chinese manufacturers and NOT CF Moto..

Had a look at the Herald 250 last week, nice machine with some sensible "UK" upgrades.
Orpington, UK
2014-Honda Wave 110i
2013-Sym Maxsym 400i

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

The Wk650 is the real cost of these bikes if you compare them to cars.

I can buy a decent new small car for £8.5k, with warranty and low service costs, a bike has 2.5 x less wheels the equivalent of one seat, rather less metal, plastic, paint and trim, less freight weight, a bigger engine with many more cylinders, a differential, multiple certified panes of glass, a radio, speakers, door trims, twice the amount of suspension, brakes and chassis, ABS, windscreen wipers, twice as many lights and far more copper wire etc.

I'm not convinced that bikes really need to cost that much TBH..

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

The WK650Tr & WK650n & the WK Jetmax 250 are CFMotos..........the rest of WK bikes are sourced from other manufacturers.
The Tr & Jetmax have been discontinued......there is the CFMoto 650Tr-G, a very updated version of the Tr, but as far as I am aware WK will not be importing it.....something to do with the Euro bolllocks testing.

But yes, I am happy with my Tr, and happy with the price I paid for it.
I would have really liked a new TMax, but it was out of my price range, and I do not like PCP or finance, cash only,
My Tr may have been half the price of some Japanese bike, but it is not half the bike compared to them.
I also admit it is not up there with the big Japanese 4 on fit and finish (the paintwork is good though) and some other extras, like it has no trip meter or clock, but I can live with that.
Parts prices for the Tr are ridiculous, after letting it fall on its side (taking it off the paddock stand) (no center stand fitted) it broke the front mudguard & indicator & indicator pod.....new front mudguard ready painted=£30....indicator pod ready painted=£15 and £10 for the LED indicator.....cheap as the chips.
Would I recommend one to someone....mmmmm....no, unless they where prepared to really keep it clean and smothered (during the autumn & winter) in ACF50......I don't think they would stand the neglect like a Japanese bike would.
I still look out for a cheapish mk1 TMax....one day I will get another.......keep the Tr too!. :-)

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I think Mr G's hit the nail on the head. The face of motorcycling has changed, with the older, better off leisure riders buying the top of the range BMWs, Harleys and Ducatis etc, and probably driving up the prices for the rest of us.
A few years ago my local dealer stocked Bandits, SVs etc. with a few BMw's and more expensive brands, but they were mainly bikes I could afford. Now 50% of their stock consists of BMWs with Ducatis and Harleys making up most of the others, with maybe an occasional immaculate SV etc. But the "luxury" brands are in the majority. And all of the bikes are low mileage, immaculate machines with not a hint of corrosion on them, they've never been used in the wet by the looks of things.
Maybe in a few years time only the Chinese and Korean brands will be within the grasp of the average biker. :?

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Symcity wrote:From what I witnessed in a rain soaked argyll and bute yesterday there is no sign that the motorcycle trade is dying - most bikes I'd say we're at least worth ten grand - ohlins this acrapovic that - you name it they had it - and here was me on my Sh300i
Well, in most cases its a hobby for the relatively wealthy and the newly retired ie for those with a bob or two to splash around. I was in Kirkby Stephen (Cumbria) yesterday - never seen so many BMW GS in one place (plus odd Ducati Multistradas)! Plus tossers on cruisers with loud exhausts that could be heard from several miles away. None of which are cheap. btw barely a sportsbike in sight...as the biking population gets older, they find sportsbikes too uncomfortable so buy Adventure bikes.
There was a big GS rally in Dent over the weekend and there is a new cruiser shop open in KS.
It's not usually like that lol.

steve_h80
Current Ride: silverwing 600

Post by steve_h80 »

Big bikes have always cost the same, GS / Z1000s cost the equivalent of £12K when they first came out in the 70/80s. If anything bikes are now cheaper than ever before - if you can resist the top of the range toys.

Mister Paul
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by Mister Paul »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Symcity wrote:From what I witnessed in a rain soaked argyll and bute yesterday there is no sign that the motorcycle trade is dying - most bikes I'd say we're at least worth ten grand - ohlins this acrapovic that - you name it they had it - and here was me on my Sh300i
Well, in most cases its a hobby for the relatively wealthy and the newly retired ie for those with a bob or two to splash around. I was in Kirkby Stephen (Cumbria) yesterday - never seen so many BMW GS in one place (plus odd Ducati Multistradas)! Plus tossers on cruisers with loud exhausts that could be heard from several miles away. None of which are cheap. btw barely a sportsbike in sight...as the biking population gets older, they find sportsbikes too uncomfortable so buy Adventure bikes.
It's not just the old that are practical. Adventure bikes are far more prevalent ime than sports bikes in mainland Europe.

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

Globs, the price of ptw vs cars is affected by economy of scale and availability in the 2nd hand market.

Cars are sold in the millions often with interchangable parts with other models sometimes from other manufacturers vs ptw sold in the thousands so they are always going to seem better value for money.

As for adventure bikes, I'm a convert! My back and shoulders are much happier on the Africa Twin and the view of the road is fantastic with the high up seating position. Suprisingly easy to filter on too.

changy

Post by changy »

rtfm wrote: As for adventure bikes, I'm a convert! My back and shoulders are much happier on the Africa Twin and the view of the road is fantastic with the high up seating position. Suprisingly easy to filter on too.
...and adventure bikes look awesome and adventurous!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

steve_h80 wrote:
There was a big GS rally in Dent over the weekend and there is a new cruiser shop open in KS.
It's not usually like that lol.
A GS rally? Sounds like a posing fest! I noticed the cruiser shop in KS - hadn't seen it before. I didn't go in...don't think it was my type of place somehow.....