Cost of bikes

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Cost of bikes

Post by smeghead »

I bought a motorcycle magazine on Saturday, I get on from time to time. I've flicked through it and I couldn't help noticing the cost of a lot of the machinery on display within the pages. It's quite easy to spend 12-15k on a bike nowadays, they all looked very nice but exceedingly specced up and I got thinking that motorcycling is dying in the UK and I'm not at all surprised. I reckon that the simpler bikes from the likes of Mash, SWM and CF Moto (WK in the UK) will be flying out of the showrooms soon.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: Cost of bikes

Post by Symcity »

From what I witnessed in a rain soaked argyll and bute yesterday there is no sign that the motorcycle trade is dying - most bikes I'd say we're at least worth ten grand - ohlins this acrapovic that - you name it they had it - and here was me on my Sh300i

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

WK will launch the new 650 in summer , its obviously a cf moto https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... t-revealed

WK have a new management and new bikes will be in place soon, the 50cc monkey bike is now here http://www.wkbikes.com/50cc-motorbike-colt-50.html and expect 250 400 cc etc soon and the new scooter range euro 4 making the importer get the newest range available, so if its budget fun and you are a spanner man ...
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I have had my WK650Tr for 2 and a half years now.
Apart from the usual maintenance (oil & filter & plugs & chain adjustment) I nave not had to get my spanners out.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Symcity wrote:From what I witnessed in a rain soaked argyll and bute yesterday there is no sign that the motorcycle trade is dying - most bikes I'd say we're at least worth ten grand - ohlins this acrapovic that - you name it they had it - and here was me on my Sh300i
Well, in most cases its a hobby for the relatively wealthy and the newly retired ie for those with a bob or two to splash around. I was in Kirkby Stephen (Cumbria) yesterday - never seen so many BMW GS in one place (plus odd Ducati Multistradas)! Plus tossers on cruisers with loud exhausts that could be heard from several miles away. None of which are cheap. btw barely a sportsbike in sight...as the biking population gets older, they find sportsbikes too uncomfortable so buy Adventure bikes.

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Clive wrote:I have had my WK650Tr for 2 and a half years now.
Apart from the usual maintenance (oil & filter & plugs & chain adjustment) I nave not had to get my spanners out.
I'm struggling with the value of these bikes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-16-CF-MO ... 1033541604

smeghead
Benefactor

Post by smeghead »

Another trend is there's an awful lot of posts about new bikes, classic bikes, retro bikes, etc. Are maxi scooters losing their appeal for some?[/quote]

I doubt it, I think people tend to be interested on both, I know I am. I like bikes but my arthritic hip says stick with the Vespa to me.

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

smeghead wrote:

The WK650Tr started off at £5200..................but was heavily discounted shortly after, getting down to £3600 ( if memory serves me right) at the end of the model life.
Yes 2nd hand they can be bought very cheap, that's the price you pay for buying new at such a reduced price.
Still a lot of bike for the money.

wozza
Benefactor
Current Ride: SEAT MO

Post by wozza »

Clive wrote:
smeghead wrote:

The WK650Tr started off at £5200..................but was heavily discounted shortly after, getting down to £3600 ( if memory serves me right) at the end of the model life.
Yes 2nd hand they can be bought very cheap, that's the price you pay for buying new at such a reduced price.
Still a lot of bike for the money.
Also you have to look at the initial price to start with. What's the price of bike with the equivalent specs?
At the end of the day very few bikes hold a decent resale value and the only issue for some folks is maybe how quickly they can sell it on.
SEAT MO

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

smeghead wrote:I bought a motorcycle magazine on Saturday, I get on from time to time. I've flicked through it and I couldn't help noticing the cost of a lot of the machinery on display within the pages. It's quite easy to spend 12-15k on a bike nowadays, they all looked very nice but exceedingly specced up and I got thinking that motorcycling is dying in the UK and I'm not at all surprised. I reckon that the simpler bikes from the likes of Mash, SWM and CF Moto (WK in the UK) will be flying out of the showrooms soon.
Looking at the likes of Mash, Herald, sinnis etc myself, they are knocking out some nice looking 125s and 250s for less than honda msx prices, fancy a 250 scrambler/tracker myself just waiting for unveils at next weeks bike shed show to see the new models.
Dezzie