New tyres pirelli Diablo Rosso scooter radial

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

New tyres pirelli Diablo Rosso scooter radial

Post by Ferret »

I never thought I would buy pirellis again ,but due to the fact Michelin have still not produced a front to fit my srv ,I had little choice . I took the plunge and got the new Pirelli . On first 500 miles so far I must say I am impressed ,great stability and turns very easy and always gives confidence . I found that going from dry to wet surface and over banding it remained solid and secure .I have yet to try in heavy rain and have been lead to believe that wet weather grip is drastically improved , only time will tell . The tread depth is not the greatest and the rubber feels soft so wear may be an issue . I have been using a city grip for the last 6k due to lack of availability ,even though it's not rated for such a machine . I have to say I found it to be a great tyre and would certainly recommend them for machines they are rated for . I will update you further on the new Pirelli performance as the miles increase .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: New tyres pirelli Diablo Rosso scooter radial

Post by MrGrumpy »

Let us know. I share your trepidation of Pirelli - I seem to recall appalling wet grip, and very rapid wear. There again, they are the same company as Metzeler, and everyone says that M. tyres are great! (Never ever ridden one myself).

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

Grumpy these are a big step up from the Diablo s , however they have also brought out ,I think it's a range called angels as well but I know they are not rated for the srv but may well be for the t max . I think it's aimed at those who like the Michelin pilot 4s

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

Well I have put a lot more miles on the new rubber and must say I am so far very pleased with there overall performance wet and dry . They warm up quickly and I have not had any scary moments . Stability is as good as any other I have used even at speed .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

OK - now to see how long they last!

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

I predict 4500 miles .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Ferret wrote:I predict 4500 miles .
And would you consider that good or bad for you? I struggled to get that out of almost any tyre on the mk4 Tmax.

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

That would be exceptional for me Grumpy unless I fit city grips which achieved 6k but are not speed rated for the srv so insurance is invalid . Normal Pirelli s wore out in 3k , Michelin sport sc when they was available gave 3.5- 4K rear and 5 K front ,golden tyre great grip but 3.5k rear and the pilot road 4 on the rear 4K when squared off . Oh destroyed a Dunlop set in 2.5k .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I can see you are like me, though the SRV is somewhat heavier and more powerful than the Tmax which presumably makes things worse. If you do get "decent' mileage out of the Diablo Rosso, and they actually provide wet grip, then this might provide an option for the Tmax. There again, older Pirellis tend to give up what little wet grip they had before they actually wore out. Keep us informed.

Ferret
Benefactor

Post by Ferret »

Well Grumpy ,over 1k miles on them so far and still very pleased . The sharpness of steering has not really diminished like michelins tend to do after a few miles . I have pushed it quite hard even 2 up still feels planted ,yes even in the wet . The front really holds its lines well and does not feel like it's always trying to stand you up ,which is nice .