Xmax300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Xmax300

Post by StephenC »

MPG isn't everything. I love my Mazda CX7 and that only manages 23...

But seriously, I consider that a 300 is the sweet spot for longer commutes: good power & decent MPG. I know you CAN do 30 miles each way daily on a 125, but I really would not want to.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

:evil: Insurance. Good grief, why does it have to be so hard?

Most insurers don't recognise the existence of the Xmax 300. So I've had to take a policy for £350, wheras my J300 cost just £75 in March. Better yet, now I've cancelled the Bennetts policy on the J300 I cannot get email or physical proof of NCB for 7 to 14 days yet my new insurer needs me to upload it before I can download a cover note. Oh yes, and proof of a Thatcham immobiliser. WTF??

So I'm scrabbling around now to find a way to prove I'm insured on the Xmax to the satisfaction of the dealer and my J300 isn't insured after 1200 today. Grrrr.

EDIT: after hanging on for ages, they have promised to email me a cover note. Why not just do that in the first place? duh!

Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Post by Pete07bikes »

Thanks for posting StephenC, the reviews that I've read on the Xmax 300 are very good so I'll be very interested to read your update once you've had the chance to run it in. I've had my Forza just over 2 years now and it's clocked up 21,000 miles (bought it at 6 months old with under 2,000 miles) so I will probably be looking for a replacement in the next 12 months and this model is defiantly in the running.
Also I'm slowly coming round to the PCP option.
Enjoy the scooter and post regulary

Pete
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Sounds like a good alternate to the SYM300 that MotoGB seem so reluctant to sell.
Am watching the details with interest, ever since the words 'good storage' were mentioned LOL.

BTW does it have stop/start technology?

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Globs wrote:Sounds like a good alternate to the SYM300 that MotoGB seem so reluctant to sell.
Am watching the details with interest, ever since the words 'good storage' were mentioned LOL.

BTW does it have stop/start technology?
No, it does not have stop-start. Which I still think is pointless on a scooter (but that's just my opinion)

Storage: 2 gloveboxes, space for 2 helmets and a bag under the seat and now a decent size top box. Anyone need to move house?

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

Hi StephenC, More I look at this the more I'm liking it, albeit nervous of the keyless ignition if I'm honest. Can you let us know the service intervals please, plus belt change timescale/mileage.
Also what is your likely use for this - commuting or pleasure

Thanks
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Pete, it is 600 miles, then every 6000. V-belt change scheduled for 12000.

I'll be commuting, doing around 8000 miles a year.

The keyless is fine. When you think about it, there's​ not much difference between it and the immobiliser chip in your current scooter.

It also comes with a real key so you can open the seat if the battery dies.

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

Thanks StephenC, that's helpful
Re the keyless ignition, I'm struggling to understand the security around it, for example imagine this scenario; You are sitting outside a café, near the scooter and others) can somebody else start it & ride off because you are near enough for the system to think it is you?
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

:lol: The effective range for engine start is 18 inches. Does that answer the question?

You can also disable the ignition by deliberately turning the key off.

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

First wet commute on the new scoot. As I was pulling away from some lights I couldn't avoid a piece of rubbish on the soaked road and had my first bit of Traction Action! The TCS light came on for a second but I didn't feel much. Good bike (pats it on head). I may be warming to it a bit now. :)

Confession time: I did not keep to 4500rpm over the 30 miles. I mean, I did my best but it's impossible if you're on 40 or 50mph roads. :(