Xmax300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Xmax300

Post by StephenC »

Globs wrote:Are you sure the keyless is not an integrated immobiliser?

I'd be surprised if not, worth talking to Yamaha?
I've emailed Yamaha UK and am waiting for a reply. I've included that getting insurance is also a problem right now: even Carole Nash, who published a review of the bike last month don't recognise its existence yet. This means I have had to pay a fortune to get it covered and had this immobiliser condition imposed.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm pretty sure that the Keyless system does constitute an immobilser - it won't work without the key for one thing! I also think that Yamahas do have something like Datatag - all Yams used to, but I seem to recall reading something about a different but similar system.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote:Just found out something else I'm not keen on.

With the J300 a Datatag was included. With ALL of my Peugeots there was an immobiliser good enough to satisfy the insurance.
New version of Datatag.....
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/informat ... ode=XP500A

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Look at this bit (for last Tmax) - scroll down to bit about Smart Key system - it says it includes an immobilser.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/ ... &id=601705

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Thanks, MrG. Well here's hoping it's only the newness of the bike that is causing me grief. Stay tuned.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

MrGrumpy wrote:Look at this bit (for last Tmax) - scroll down to bit about Smart Key system - it says it includes an immobilser.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/ ... &id=601705
Yamaha wrote: The new Smartkey system is a time-saving device that also includes convenient remote functions for engine immobilizer, steering lock and seat opener.
Well found!

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Ok, so insurance is sorted (but expensive still, presumably because only a few companies cover it yet), I am on 369 miles so that first oil change is coming up soon, and I have seen my first other Xmax 300.

Parked up in Chelmsford in the morning but when I had a look at lunchtime there was another white one with a topbox. Git! Copycat! That's it, a couple of weeks in and they're already getting common. It'll have to go! All I can console myself with is that for some reason the front mudguard was white whereas mine is black. No idea why but I can now say it wasn't identical.

One more little aside. Researching the Yamaha VIN number system, with my bike's number beginning MH3SH it looks like the bike is built in Indonesia. Not totally sure what to make of that, except that the bike looks well-built and finished so why not?

mac65
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by mac65 »

My X-Max 400 certainly has YISS and that caused months of issues until it eventually got sorted. Ended up back at Yamaha UK for a complete wiring harness change. It also came with data tagging. After the issues I had with the 400 I considered changing it for a 300 as had lost faith with my 400. But concerned that the leg room would be shorter on 300. Looking forward to more of your reviews though. I thought the X-Max's were French built as they are MBK built.
enjoy eXtra to the Max

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

mac65 wrote:I thought the X-Max's were French built
Careful to order the right hand drive version!

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Globs wrote:
mac65 wrote:I thought the X-Max's were French built
Careful to order the right hand drive version!
Well as we plan to go to Spa for the F1 next year I might stick with the left hand drive one until after then. (Mind you, this is the best mph speedo I've ever seen on a scooter.)

On the code: I'm just going by a bit of interwebbery so I'll happily accept I'm wrong if anyone knows better ..