Its here....

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Its here....

Post by MrGrumpy »

Looks shiny doesn't it! Trying to work out the smart key system, and whether you need to press the button once or twice to lock the bars and the centre stand, and it won't lock either on occasion. The display is even more baffling - it seems that there is a hidden 'Menu' button where you'd expect to find the headlight flasher that controls it. After hours of study, I hope to be able to reset the trip meter....

They only give you one smart key!! Apparently my topbox key can act as a back up and there is a way in without it, but it seems a bit risky.

Anyway, I've only had the briefest familarisation ride - its similar but different! I'm obviously being gentle, but it does seem pokier in acceleration than the mk4. Ride seems slightly better as well. Firm but very well controlled - absorbs bumps but no sign of bounciness. Its on Bridgestone tyres, so might be even better on Michelins! Haven't dared go round a corner at more than 10mph yet so can't comment on handling!

Mirrors nice, but are ludicrously shaped - all pointy bits sticking out for no apparent reason.No idea whether the screen is on higher or lower position - I did ask them to raise it, but it looks low when you ride it. Seems quiet though. Further reports to come!

road runner
Benefactor
Current Ride: MaxSYM 600i + Vespa GTS

Re: Its here....

Post by road runner »

Very nice indeed MrGrumpy. Look gorgeous in black and I look forward to reading future reports.
Enjoy your ride.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery but today is a gift!

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Very very nice.
Well deserved & enjoy

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

First snag - the Smart key system! They give you one smart key that contains an emergency mechanical key (like many car systems) and a spare mechanical key. BUT - I have a Yamaha topbox, and the key for that is the same standard mechanical key. So every time you want to open the topbox (ie most journeys) you either have to open the smart key to extract the standard key, or take all your keys with you! What I'm going to try is to separate the smart & standard keys, and put the standard key on a ring with other scooter related keys, and keep the other standard key at home for emergencies. However, I think that even then, if your smart key battery runs flat, you are seriously up sh!t creek....

Other quirk was that the small storage compartment on the fascia had a good inch or so of water in it! There's nothing important in there, apart from the 12V power socket....

Finally reset the trip meter - didn't require the hidden Menu key, but other obscure up& down arrow keys. Really...talk about being over complex! Thank goodness I haven't got heated grips - switching them on involves going to the Heated Grips menu, and scrolling through the heat settings. Still it shows 'Welcome back' when I switch it on, and 'See you soon' when I switch it off, which is of course crucially important!

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Nice one Mr G !!
Looks good in shiny black.
I had a go on a DX today . Liked it , have done a brief write up on here
Looking forward to seeing how yours goes
Enjoy your new T Max. Liked the welcome back greeting as well :mrgreen:

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

Very nice!

Can you just remind me of the make and model? Too many new scooters to fit in my memory banks ;)

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

fantastic looking scoot grumps, looks mint in black. I agree strange shape mirrors but as long as they do the job,,,,
dont talk to me about trip meters, nearly 2k on my NC and I'm fucked if I can reset the meter without going through the manual reset bollox. :oops:
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Globs wrote:Very nice!

Can you just remind me of the make and model? Too many new scooters to fit in my memory banks ;)
Yamaha Tmax 2017 (mk6)

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

Grumpy it looks fab in black ,you'll enjoy it once you work out what buttons to touch lol .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Been for a longer ride, so more impressions.

I echo what I said earlier that it seems to go better. Considering its got the same power but the only difference is that it has the ride-by-wire throttle, its very surprising! I'm trying to be gentle as its running in, but the surge you get when accelerating in the mid range is very unexpected. Imagine what it'd go like if I really twisted the throttle!

Exploring the handling now as well. Very interesting. The mk3 was very fluid whilst the mk4 was very calm and competent, but the mk6 is different again. It feels very different, it feels shorter and taller (it isn't), it feels pointier, sharper, more nervous even. I know it may not make sense rationally, but it really leaves it up to you how you ride, and responds instantly to your inputs. Its kind of more like the mk3, but responses are sharper. Its not really like a Supermoto, but it feels a bit like one, relatively. Another difference that's hard to describe rationally is that you are less conscious of the front and rear doing things, but it feels like a single object - this is actually quite similar to the X-ADV. When I jumped off the X-ADV, I was struck by how 'long' the Tmax mk4 felt in comparison, with things going on at the rear, but the mk6 doesn't have that feeling.

Ride quality seems variable - it seems to handle some bumps better than the mk4, but its quite firm. If it was a car, you'd say it was Germanic!

As I said, it feels taller somehow, the seat feels taller, but putting your leg down is no different. The riding position feels roomier - there seems acres of space, especially for the feet. I think the screen is in its high position - its actually quite quiet, though you can feel some wind on you.

btw Running in advice is now that you can go to 5100 rpm!!! More useful than 4000 rpm - 5100rpm is about 65 on the flat.

So overall, I think its definitely a step forward on the mk4.....though its still a Tmax, its a matter of style and degree rather than revolution. My impressions are that its got its Sportiness back handling wise, which I was hoping for. The mk4 handled very well, but wasn't that involving somehow, whilst this one looks like it will be.