Test ride 2017 T Max 530DX

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Test ride 2017 T Max 530DX

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Yes I got to test ride a new TMax DX today !
Rode my mk 4 so I could compare and contrast
First thing that struck me is it seems bigger at the front/ broader and the view of the front is quite boxy
Liked the electric screen heated seat and grips though it was a warm day
Modes ? Well S is the only one you'll use T is slow and really not sure why you'd use it
Underseat is shallower than previous and you will not get a full face helmet in there.My Arai sram 3 fitted as long as it was upside down facing forward
Take off is as brisk as before comfort better as it's a bit more roomy, rear suspension softer and a bit more refined front end stable and direct brakes good abs not intrusive
Menu is intuitive . Heated seat / heated grip/information/ screen position accessed via a button
Adjustable screen is great and moves on the fly. Not much buffeting at 80 with the screen all the way up
It was a bit quiet but I have a full akrapovic on mine
Transmission smooth and lively
Cruise I couldn't get to work , keyless was good but a bit of delay shutting down and locking the steering
Buttons to access fuel and underseat worked well though fuel flap plastic seems cheap
I didn't like the motorcycle rear indicators , looks a bit add on
Front LED lights are fantastic finish looks good, and seat very comfortable
My feeling was it was less sporty more tourer esp in DX guise. I think the standard T Max has no modes or adjustable screen
No cruise no heated grips or seat

Will I buy one ? Not sure . It is not a great move on. More evolution than revolution .Cost to change was my bike ( 2014 530 in white full akrapovic Puig screen and recent £800 service incl tyres brakes 12000 miles ) plus £5500 !
That's a lot of money . I will probably buy one but not just now. Nice to ride it though it's as good as I'd hoped but at nearly £11000 they are not cheap . They never were I guess but anything over 10 grand has to really make you want to change. It highlighted just how good my mk 4 is . And that's a good thing :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Test ride 2017 T Max 530DX

Post by MrGrumpy »

[quote="tmaxrobbo"
Underseat is shallower than previous and you will not get a full face helmet in there.My Arai sram 3 fitted as long as it was upside down facing forward
[/quote]

Oh yes you can! I actually get the choice of putting my Arai Quantum ST upside down or right way up in there!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

How interesting - your impressions are clearly somewhat different to mine! I'm very dubious about the display systems, menus etc, and I feel its sportier than the mk4, whilst you feel its more of a tourer! The base model's screen can be put in two positions (with tools), otherwise no heated grips, heated seats, cruise control, riding modes or adjustable rear shock. I'd like the electric screen, but I can do without the rest (or heated grips can be added cheaply if needed).

Your cost to change seems very high...I got the mk6 (base) for my 2012 Tmax + £4k (approx) + extras

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Your cost to change seems very high...I got the mk6 (base) for my 2012 Tmax + £4k (approx) + extras
No, sorry, got that wrong - mine was my mk4 + £5k (+ accessories)

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Must say my Arai is an Xl so quite big . It's an open face with a visor so maybe odder shape than yours
I thought it was more comfortable , a bit like a tourer but had a definite fast take off in S mode . I guess I confuse sporty with jarring ! I like the menus and think it will become second nature
I also think you have had a good deal . 5 year old T max plus £5000 against my not yet 3 year old plus £5500 . That was to include leaving the Akrapovic on the bike (£750 it cost me) .Did you get yours from Wigan? They are meant to be good to deal with. My local dealer was great , and I was very pleased to get a test ride something that won't happen anywhere else in the south east . It'll happen , but only when the deal is more in my favour.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Sounds really nice, but part of me still prefers keys, real ones etc.

The ride qaulity sounds good.

£11K is serious money though !!!!

Best Mark.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

tmaxrobbo wrote:Must say my Arai is an Xl so quite big . It's an open face with a visor so maybe odder shape than yours
I thought it was more comfortable , a bit like a tourer but had a definite fast take off in S mode . I guess I confuse sporty with jarring ! I like the menus and think it will become second nature
I also think you have had a good deal . 5 year old T max plus £5000 against my not yet 3 year old plus £5500 . That was to include leaving the Akrapovic on the bike (£750 it cost me) .Did you get yours from Wigan? They are meant to be good to deal with. My local dealer was great , and I was very pleased to get a test ride something that won't happen anywhere else in the south east . It'll happen , but only when the deal is more in my favour.
Its tighter than I thought under the seat - my Arai (M) fits in there, but only upside down (like on previous versions) and there isn't much in it! Yamaha Topbox is annoying as well - its big but a silly shape so its hard to squeeze jackets in. Might be easier to try jacket under the seat and helmet in the box.

Yes, got mine from Wigan. There were fine until the last minute when they started being silly about the condition of my Tmax. Yes, certain little bits had gone rusty, but that's Yamaha's crap design not my fault.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor

Post by tmaxrobbo »

Bought one today, the standard T Max in gloss black, got heated grips added as part of the deal. Great stuff looking forward to it and a great px on my mk 4 . Had thought of buying a mint Mk 3 but another ride on the Mk 6 sealed it . Same bike as you Mr Grumpy and I know you love yours . Funnily enough another guy was in the shop buying a DX , so a good day for the dealer , we both had Mk4's though his was very low mileage .I will hope for 3 years trouble free riding .

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

XP500FUN wrote:Sounds really nice, but part of me still prefers keys, real ones
Me too, I'm not a fan of keyless vehicles and the tmax is especially high profile for thieves so I'd be worried about that.

All the other gadgets seem great - all maxi scoots should have heated, adjustable everything and cruise control imho.

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

rtfm wrote:
XP500FUN wrote:Sounds really nice, but part of me still prefers keys, real ones
Me too, I'm not a fan of keyless vehicles and the tmax is especially high profile for thieves so I'd be worried about that.

All the other gadgets seem great - all maxi scoots should have heated, adjustable everything and cruise control imho.
I have done about 1,400m now on my DX in the three months or so I've owned it. I'm okay with keyless which does not make it easier to steal, though I guess it is one more thing to go wrong. As for the DX additional gadgets, worth the extra cost in my view assuming one can afford it. The complex electronics do take a bit of getting used to but once you've learned it all, it's not a problem. I use much of the DX additional stuff all the time, in particular now we're into autumn and then winter the heated grips and seat and power screen.

Cruise is great for those times when I do ride Mways or other fast roads for any distance, allowing me to relax my right hand. I don't bother messing with the adjustable shock so it's the same setting as the dealer made when I bought it. Another DX-only feature is the tracker and associated app which tells me always where the bike is. Right now it's saying it's at my neighbour's house due to the location of my garage!

The two riding modes are not a great deal of use really and like other DX testers and users have commented, I tend to leave it in S as the T setting is rather sluggish on acceleration. T is possibly more economical on fuel, can't easily tell, but as a low mileage user just for leisure I'm not worried about fuel consumption.

It's a tall bike, I'm 5' 8" and I cannot put both feet flat down, only on my toes. I was a little concerned with that at first and when having a demo ride before purchase, but am used to it now. I sat on a 650 Burgman recently and was surprised to find that it is so much lower that I can flat foot it.

I'm really pleased with this bike, not just saying so to justify my ownership. As an old fart now and seeking comfort above all in my main ride, which is the reason I switched to a maxi scooter from former big bikes, it does everything I want in great style and it's a massive 60kg lighter than the rival Burgman and also much lighter than the competing BMW C models or the Honda X-ADV. As old age has the effect of wimping a person, lower weight these days is one of my buying criteria.

I've added two things, a Tomtom nav, ignition controlled, and an additional accessory socket connected direct to the battery, a BMW DIN type, to the LH panel which covers the battery, the one that looks like a second glove box but it aint. I use that for my smart charger and maybe heated clothing or tyre pump, whatever. The bike is always on the charger whenever it's in the garage. Unfortunately the standard socket in the RH glove box is a cig lighter type which I don't like on bikes and anyway it is not live with the ignition off so no use for charging and its 2 amp current (= 24 watt device power) limit is too low for some things. I long ago standardised all my gear to DIN, probably because I owned a number of BMWs but also because DIN sockets and plugs are much smaller and neater than cigs.

Never having owned them before, I can't compare the DX with earlier TMaxes or other maxis but I was careful before deciding and it came down to the DX or the Honda X-ADV with the latter being very much too tall for me but otherwise a very nice bike. I ruled out the Burgman on its excessive weight and fat arse looks (to me, no offence to B owners) so I went for the TMax DX and am very pleased I did so.