Silverwing Downgrade/Upgrade !!!.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Re: Silverwing Downgrade/Upgrade !!!.

Post by The Bern »

XP500FUN wrote:
Thanks for the really good explaination.

Best Mark.

PS the springs were done by a long ago owner ( by a bike shop ) in 2008 when a year old.

PPS any tips on doing the job please Bern. Thats just a spring switch and oil .
No prob's Mark, shame it was done so long ago :( Tip's, I'll get back onto this later this evening, gotta water the greenhouse, veg' etc now the suns dropped, back in a while >>>>>>>>>>>>>
Have wheels, will travel :D

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Thanks thats great.

Hope the ones in have`nt damaged the inside of the fork tubes.

At least I have the T-max to use while I set about it as I`m not so handy so might be a long slowly goes job.

But finding some springs cheaply might be awkward.

Best Mark.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

XP500FUN wrote: I`m not so handy so might be a long slowly goes job.

But finding some springs cheaply might be awkward.

Best Mark.
Bugger, that's not really good, what tools do you have ?

Finding a pair of secondhand springs is probably not going to happen, you are more likely to find complete legs in a breakers.

Are you on facebook ?

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

If you're on facebook try shooting this guy a message .... https://www.facebook.com/search/str/hon ... nded_posts .... can't remember his name, but he's near Oldham & has broken up one or two silver wings, so may have springs/legs on the shelves in his garage

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

What's the point of used springs they will probably be no good anyhow . I would suggest getting a new set about 100 quid ,but purchase a set of linear springs related to your weight and usage .Most companies do them .Unless you have emulators fitted the damping will need to be adjusted by oil viscosity .

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

30w oil seams rather heavy for a progressive Spring ,it's normally between 7.5wt -15wt .you would notice a differance in damping by dropping down from 30wt to 10wt .

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

Ferret wrote:30w oil seams rather heavy for a progressive Spring ,it's normally between 7.5wt -15wt .you would notice a differance in damping by dropping down from 30wt to 10wt .
I entirely agree with you bud, my first action would be to drain, flush & refill with fork oil somewhat closer to the original Honda 10w then see how it rides, I'm about 13/14 stone & find 7.5w works well for me, only bottoms out on BIG potholes, 10w or 15w might suit a heavier built rider.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

Mark, before I write a diatribe (how to) there are two ways to do this job, if you want to do it the way I did I NEED to know, do you have a decent workbench AND does it have a vice firmly mounted on it, if so how wide are the jaws & how far do they open ? Other than that ot will be the 'official' Honda method which require removal of an awful lot of the bodywork to get a socket onto the top of the fork legs.
Also do you have a 3/8" drive torque wrench ? AAgain needed for the quick method, 'official' you can use either 3/8" or 1/2" drive.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Hi thanks Bern etc.

I don`t have a vice but my cousin does have a good, secure, and large vice, and hes also tooled up to the eyeballs so better go there to do it.

I think I`ll go for the 7.5 oil and see how that goes first.

I`ve texted that chap, thanks, but hes not go back yet, so going to call him today.

Maybe with the right oil and making sure they are the right way up it might do for now and save a few bob.

Be handy if I could find someone after a set and do a swap as if you did`nt live where we do be fine. But we do !!!

Best Mark.

Really appreciate all of the kind help and support etc. Brilliant site and people here.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

I just found a bargain ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-2002-20 ... SwA29Y3~jB .... I doubt you will find another that cheap for a long while.