Silverwing Downgrade/Upgrade !!!.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Flyingpanman
Current Ride: Honda SH350i

Re: Silverwing Downgrade/Upgrade !!!.

Post by Flyingpanman »

The Bern wrote:I shall now apologise to OP for somehow turning his thread into a debate over what is printed in my Genuine Honda Shop Manual & for the ongoing debate with a member who reallly, really wants to be right in his opinion but simly isn't.
As I can add nothing further about the original topic I shall post no more here, good luck with the job bud.
I don't know if you mean me, but misinformation is rife on the internet and if I spot something I believe is incorrect, I check my facts and offer my version. Who is right or wrong is of secondary importance. Getting the job right is the point.

Okay, my WSM is a mere .pdf file and 14-16 says, "Pull the fork tube up fully. Install the fork spring with the tightly wound end
facing up." It has a photo showing closed coils with up arrow. I also checked with my Silver Wing's Hyper Pro spring install instructions and they say the same thing. If I'm wrong, I shan't lose sleep over it as it probably makes no discernible difference.

But at least the original poster (and others) will now be aware of conflicting evidence and can draw their own conclusions.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

Thanks for all the setting`s and advice etc.

Using the T max until I can get it done.

Got an issue with the ignition switch as well, but hope to sort that too.

Best Mark.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Well decided with the duff hips etc I am going to get it done at the localish small bike spot, the chap sounds like he knows his stuff and my cousin had some good work done there.

Going to print all the hows etc from here so thank you again.

Only thing, the chap is insisstant that 10w will be OK a move and enough.

Myself I feel 7.5w as with all thet expense etc and want a much looser front end to absorb the bumps etc.

So any thoughts on 10w or 7.5 please people.

Thanks Mark.

XP500FUN
Benefactor

Post by XP500FUN »

Anyone with experiance or thoughts on different fork oils, tried etc will do.

But if you do have a silverwing with the same hyperpro progressive springs in it would be useful.

Thanks Mark.

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Hmmmmm. maybe Fryingpanman can add something here regarding oil viscosity, as he seems from previous posts to have hyperpro springs fitted to whatever it is that he rides
Have wheels, will travel :D

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

XP500FUN wrote:Myself I feel 7.5w as with all thet expense etc and want a much looser front end to absorb the bumps etc.

So any thoughts on 10w or 7.5 please people.

Thanks Mark.
I went with 7.5 as I felt the front end of my SYM300 could be a little harsh on rough surfaces.
I have no complaints with the thinner oil TBH, I never notice any issue with the front.

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

I ride a 2006 Silver Wing and the front suspension was not coping very well with my 18 stone weight and brisk style of riding. My rear suspension is set at maximum preload, yet I've still experienced it bottoming out - but that's the end I'll work on next.

I always try to avoid potholes in normal riding of course, but sometimes the shock of them would be heard with a bang from the front and an almost painful effect on my hands via the handlebars.

I went for the Hyper Pro springs and found that the pressure required to screw the end cap back on the tube was easy and similar to the original spring and spacer. That indicates the initial rate of springing is similar to the Honda set up. I used the supplied 20w fork oil and inserted the springs with the tightly coiled end uppermost as per the instruction sheet.

With hindsight, I wish I'd measured the amount of old oil that came out of the tubes as it didn't seem to be as much as I put in. It also seemed quite dirty. Putting the new oil in and pumping the air out is when you'll realise that the damping is only on the extension of the fork leg and not during compression.

Standing astride the bike and pulling up and down on the handlebars showed the initial movement as soft as the original. Beyond a couple of inches or so it became firmer. On the road and around town I noticed it coped better with the lesser holes and bumps. I found I wasn't quite so worried about avoidance. The small wheels will never allow it to smooth the road out like my V-Strom does however.

At higher speeds and out in the country the difference was greater, the front end having a more "quality" feel to it. It definitely coped better in this environment, but don't expect *motorcycle quality*. That said, the only time I had problems keeping up with my friend's Tiger 800 was over the moors on a heavily undulating section of road where I had to slow down to preserve a few brain cells. Much of that was from the rear bottoming out.

For me, the modification was well worth doing. I plan to fit a pair of YSS shocks on the rear end soon to complement the front end work. In the meantime, I found reducing the pressure on my Metzeler Feel Free Wintec tyres by 3 or 4 p.s.i. helps a fair amount. These tyres seem to be a particularly hard structure when not inflated and I'm not happy with the build quality of them with noticeable flat spots when rotating the wheels by hand.

Lighter riders who don't make as much progress as I do may not have a problem with the original suspension. Honda do have a habit of changing things without notification. A later model may have some suspension differences to an earlier version, even if it's just which way up the spring goes in or what amount/weight of oil is used.

I'm happy with mine on 20w oil, but I'd go along with the mechanic who thinks a 10w oil (rather than 7w) would be suitable for the original poster. Remember, the spring works on compression but the oil damps the return to equilibrium *after* compression of the spring.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

Fryingpanman wrote:
I'm happy with mine on 20w oil, but I'd go along with the mechanic who thinks a 10w oil (rather than 7w) would be suitable for the original poster.

Your premise for this would be what exactly ?
Do you know if he is using mineral or synthetic, do you know the brand he will use ? does his preffered oil have anti frothing agents ? does it have seal swelling agents ?
All fork oils are not 'born' equal
Oh you've gotta love blanket statements that pay no attention to the variables.

Flyingpanman

Post by Flyingpanman »

Errm, it's not Fryingpanman, but The OP said he was thinking of using 7w oil whereas his mechanic suggested 10w. I'm happy with my suspension using the supplied 20w oil so I go along with the mechanic on trying a "half-way house" compromise. I never suggested any make, or formula of oil as I regard that as an entirely different topic. Perhaps The Bern, you could start such a topic - I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions. The trouble is, opinions are like a**holes - everyone has one.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post by The Bern »

All I'm suggesting is that before jumping in with an opinion, you should ask a few questions :roll:

FYI. 7.5 IS 'middle of the road' for fully synthetic from Motul