Maxsym 600i fuel leak

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Maxsym 600i fuel leak

Post by Maxsymuppet »

After getting the occasional wiff of petrol and fuel consumption that seemed a little excessive since I got my new Maxsym I finally took it into my dealer on Monday to have it checked out. It turns out there is a design fault to do with the routing of the excess fuel pipe from the tank. Causing fuel to leak out on braking. The dealer found something about it on the importer's website, so they know about it. This begs the question of why they haven't sent out a recall, but still. So if you have a Maxsym 600i, 2017 model or possibly earlier, it may be worth asking your dealer to check it out.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Re: Maxsym 600i fuel leak

Post by horobags »

' found something about it on the website', a fuel leak!! :o That is shocking.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

horobags wrote:' found something about it on the website', a fuel leak!! :o That is shocking.
Surely an electrical fault would be shocking, lets hope this one doesn't blow up in anyones face!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

If its a known issue, then given the scary safety implications, then surely a recall would be required!!!

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

You know they are imported by MotoGB right?

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Globs wrote:You know they are imported by MotoGB right?
say no more.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

basil 69
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxisym 600i

Post by basil 69 »

Burgman1958 wrote:After getting the occasional wiff of petrol and fuel consumption that seemed a little excessive since I got my new Maxsym I finally took it into my dealer on Monday to have it checked out. It turns out there is a design fault to do with the routing of the excess fuel pipe from the tank. Causing fuel to leak out on braking. The dealer found something about it on the importer's website, so they know about it. This begs the question of why they haven't sent out a recall, but still. So if you have a Maxsym 600i, 2017 model or possibly earlier, it may be worth asking your dealer to check it out.
Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly be mentioning it to the dealer when I book mine in for its first service in the next week or so. :shock:

stevew
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 400i

Post by stevew »

Must admit i have occasionally sniffed something fuelly after filling quite carefully, too.
Mine is a 400i which is almost the same layout.
Reckon you could find out a little bit more about it please? Like where abouts is it on the web site and is this information accessible to the end user?
Orpington, UK
2014-Honda Wave 110i
2013-Sym Maxsym 400i

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I must admit the safety issue didn't occur to me, as I haven't noticed any fuel dripping out, just an occasional smell. But thinking about it it could be very nasty if any leaking fuel ignited.

I am wondering now how the fuel consumption will be affected. I filled up a couple of days after the fault was rectified, and the next time I fill up I will work it out. Logically there should be an improvement.

Stevew - the website the info about the fault came from is the one used by the dealers, so your dealer should be able to help you out. If the 400 is also affected it means the problem has been around for a while. Certainly long enough for SYM or the importers to sort it out.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

horobags wrote:
Globs wrote:You know they are imported by MotoGB right?
say no more.
Yes...my local workshop who were going to sell Syms have given up the idea as the importer were too awkward to deal with! They thought if they are this much hassle when they are trying to recruit a dealer, what would they be like if there was a problem!